News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket shifter?

Started by Piston_Freddy, June 07, 2011, 01:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston_Freddy

What aftermarket shifter would you install in your charger? I have a Hurst promatic 2 and absolutely hate that thing, its mounted too far(I think) and I have to shift twice to get it into 2d gear. Looks like I'm not the only one:

Quote from: charger_mike75 on April 07, 2008, 05:19:55 AM
that's kinda funny, I had a promatic 2 shifter in my charger and hated it. I couldn't get the cable adjusted properly so I junked it and installed a factory console shifter.

Keepat, that's a real cool set up you got there   :2thumbs:
Since I don't have a factory console I'm not gonna install a factory shifter back in.
Max rim size:15"

solids0be

I run a B&M Quicksilver shifter, I like it but have some minor issues with the durability of the plastic housing. But otherwise a great product.

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: solids0be on June 07, 2011, 04:26:04 PM
I run a B&M Quicksilver shifter, I like it but have some minor issues with the durability of the plastic housing. But otherwise a great product.
I watched some youtube videos and looks like a great shifter.

So how does this ratchet mode works anyway?  I should be able to get it in to neutral without lifting it, right? In what gear the cable thingy and level hole are in the same spot? If I adjust it at the same spot in first gear then they wont line up in park and vice versa.

Here are the levels: Stock mopar,chebby,phord and mopar.Is the welded one that comes with the kit?

I swear I'm seriously thinking of installing a column shifter. :D

solids0be

Because its lacking a disengadge button like a stock T handle or other aftermarket shifters, you have to lift the knob to get it from Park to reverse and any other posistion back to park (But its a more clean look). From there you can Lift again and set it into the Drive posistion where it will lock down into D and from there you can ratchet Up to neutral or down all the way through the gears and back up.

Takes a while to get used to and initially set up because If you don't ensure to adjust the shift cable just perfect it will not lock into the selected gear properly. For the install I would familiarize myself with the gear position AT the tranny to know where PND21 is located while under the car and then ensure when you install the selector in the cabin that it matches up.  As for all the parts to make the swap its all in the Box, the directions will tell you exactly how to install it for your Transmission application B&M did a pretty good job. I believe the TF727 uses the third from the left selector lever for the swap..I should remember seeing I was under there yesterday messing around. AND if you have headers make sure you route the cable so it won't melt on the exaust. possibly carefully using cable ties ensuring you don't bind the path of the Cable.

Manual Shifting feels good but be careful not to ratchet down to Manual low on accident while driving over 15-20mph because you'll either damage your tranny and possibly bust your face on the dash from the sudden deceleration....been there done that. Id also reccomend a Valvebody upgrade kit to get the full effect..I believe mine does...but the tranny was built up before I purchased it so it may not.

doctor4766

I also have the Quicksilver B&M shifter which looked ok in front of my buddy seat, however once I saw the same shifter installed in a factory console (somewhere on this forum) I went out and bought a console too. Mainly because of the extra storage space.
I have found though that the total throw of the B&M isn't as long as a factory shifter, so while in Park everything lines up, by the time I get down to first, the gear indicator doesnt line up properly. No big deal though.
It's a great shifter and is easy to use once you're familiar with the operation. 
Gotta love a '69

Piston_Freddy

I bought the car with that shifter already installed. I tried to ratchet it up to second and thank god I have a rev limiter, because I had to shift again to get second gear. There are four positions on the shifter in ratchet mode, so I can shift up three times to neutral from first, right? Well neutral never comes and it stays in drive, if I want neutral then I have to lift the shifter up.I don't care if the gear indicator doesnt line up.What I meant was, that when the transmission selector level is in park, then the cable head isn't lined up with the level slot.If I line them up then the won't mach in first gear.That welded selector level was on the car and other ones I got with the car, so that level must be the right one then? That kit is fairly new and its damn funny that its been welded already.

Factory console would be great, but since I didn't got it with the car(ad said I would), I probably wont buy it.

FLG

After seeing it in person on Rons car, I'm going with a winters "sidewinder" shifter  :2thumbs:

solids0be

Quote from: Piston_Freddy on June 07, 2011, 07:50:45 PM
I bought the car with that shifter already installed. I tried to ratchet it up to second and thank god I have a rev limiter, because I had to shift again to get second gear. There are four positions on the shifter in ratchet mode, so I can shift up three times to neutral from first, right? Well neutral never comes and it stays in drive, if I want neutral then I have to lift the shifter up.I don't care if the gear indicator doesnt line up.What I meant was, that when the transmission selector level is in park, then the cable head isn't lined up with the level slot.If I line them up then the won't mach in first gear.That welded selector level was on the car and other ones I got with the car, so that level must be the right one then? That kit is fairly new and its damn funny that its been welded already.

Factory console would be great, but since I didn't got it with the car(ad said I would), I probably wont buy it.

Sounds like that shifter that you currently have was set up for a 4 speed transmission orginally.

Piston_Freddy

I went for a short drive and when I put the shifter in first, the transmission shifted by itself? :shruggy: Time to visit someone who knows how these things work.

solids0be

Sounds like It didn't make it all the way to 1 Low. It possible only went down to 2 Low which would explain why you heard the transmission upshift. 2 low will allow you to start in first and it will automatically upshift to second..but no further then that. What it sounds like is either the previous owner bought a shifter but never changed out the shifter select lever on the transmission. which would explain why the selector on the inside of the car does not match the selector on the actual transmission.

OR it just needs a major adjustment on the shifter cable, transmission shift selector, and your Shifter in the car.

What i would do would be; (With the engine off)

Put the Shifter in park sitting in the car

Get under the car and disconnect the Shift linkage cable from the shift selector arm.

ensure that the arm is fully engadged towards the rear of the car. (Im expecting it will make a noticable click as you push the selector towards the rear which will show that the car was inproperly adjusted)

ensure that there is no play in the linkage cable mount bolted to the pan.

From there you should adjust the linkage cable so that it will reach the new posistion of the selector arm on the transmission ensureing that you finde tune it to make sure that there is no slack.

then start the car and CAREFULLY move the selector from park into reverse with your foot firmly on the brake. Ensure that reverse is successfully engadged and no out of the ordinary noise is coming from the tranny

Do the same into neutral..verify neutral is indeed neutral

Do the same for Drive verify that it engadges fully and no issues with the tranny

Ratchet down to 2 low and listen for the down shift

Ratchet into 1 Low Listen for the downshift

Try to ratchet down again..shouldent be able to.

If you run into any issues during any of the steps STOP turn off the engine and troubleshoot.

Should get you pretty close if all the right parts are installed correctly.

solids0be

Piston_Freddy

Thanks solids0be! Yeah I'm not sure if that is the correct transmission shift selector. I tried to adjust the cable pin, so it would line up with the shift selector hole in every gear like this

but if I shifted to another gear then it was like this

or this

Its impossible to adjust it that the cable pin and shifter arm hole would line up in every gear, impossible!

solids0be

Hmmmm Looking at the pics i understand what your saying, I see how 1 Low lined up but everything above that is off my a notch...Im thinking incorrect shift selector arm BUT im not familiar with that Hurst shifter setup. See if you can look up the directions online

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-products/PRO-MATIC-2-RATCHET-SHIFTER/PRO-MATIC-2-RATCHET-SHIFTER_5

and see if the 727 lever matches the one that they say is the correct one for the Transmission you have. Also go through the directions step by step, there may be an issue with the shifter inside the car as well that has special instuctions to set up.

EDIT:

This is what the Arm should look like

http://www.performanceonline.com.au/hurst-shifters-1058564-hurst-automatic-transmission-cable-brackets-and-levers.html

I think you have the incorrect arm judging by what I can see in the Pics but only you would be able to make the final determination.

Piston_Freddy

Thanks again solids0be!  Looks like your right about the incorrect arm.

Here's that welded arm number(dual gate?), the right one should be #1058564 like the manual says :brickwall: I'd like to know who f*cked up, Hurst or the guy how installed it.  :slap:

solids0be

Well at least you can fix the issue for under $20. Better then going and buying another $200-300 shifter. I would not drive it too much until you fix the issue because you could do some serious damage to your tranny and thats where the big money starts to add up.

Piston_Freddy

I'm in Europe so that $20 will be like $100 with shipping and taxes.Not gonna drive until I have the right part.No problem, just have to wait half a month or so.I'll try Chevy or Ford message boards and hopefully somone has the correct mopar lever arm laying around.

doctor4766

The shifters come with a selection of arms for different transmissions so that's a good idea Freddy. Someone who bought one for a different make car may have the Mopar adaptor you need.
Gotta love a '69

68r/t

Quote from: Piston_Freddy on June 09, 2011, 09:27:09 AM
I'm in Europe so that $20 will be like $100 with shipping and taxes.Not gonna drive until I have the right part.No problem, just have to wait half a month or so.I'll try Chevy or Ford message boards and hopefully somone has the correct mopar lever arm laying around.

I,m think I have a few of them laying around, you can have one if you like.
I,m going away for a few days so when I get back I will look for it.

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: doctor4766 on June 09, 2011, 05:55:43 PM
The shifters come with a selection of arms for different transmissions so that's a good idea Freddy. Someone who bought one for a different make car may have the Mopar adaptor you need.
Yep, I was thinking if we had ford and chevy levers laying around, then ford and chevy guys have mopar levers laying around.I posted my problem on the chevy board and they suggested I'd go to moparts with my problem.I think chevy people are slow or something.

Quote from: 68r/t on June 09, 2011, 06:20:49 PM
Quote from: Piston_Freddy on June 09, 2011, 09:27:09 AM

I,m think I have a few of them laying around, you can have one if you like.
I,m going away for a few days so when I get back I will look for it.

You have few hurst levers just laying around?  :o

One local guy told me he has the correct lever, I'll contact him and see if that's true.Would be cool(an cheap) if he did! :smoke: