News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jeep has a high idle after changing the water pump?

Started by Troy, June 08, 2011, 10:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

So, my brother-in-law bought a POS Jeep Wrangler. I think it's a 97 and I'm pretty sure it's not a six cylinder. The water pump was leaking and his friend replaced it. Now it's idling around 2,000 and throwing a code for the MAP sensor. Last week when it originally started doing this I thought they told me it was a crank or cam sensor code so who really knows? Since I'm notorious for breaking unrelated stuff while I'm "fixing" my cars I'm thinking there's a wire that got pinched or disconnected or a vacuum hose that came undone. What can cause this and is there a simple test that I can explain to them in an email or on the phone? I am not there, I haven't looked at it, and I'm not going to touch it - but my sister asked for help and I'd like it if she stopped bugging me. It broke well over a week ago but, of course, *NOW* it's an emergency since he can't make it to work (currently a construction job 120 miles away).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Plumcrazy

Here probably knocked a vacuum hose off  creating a vacuum leak which would explain the high idle.

The MAP code is probably "no change in vacuum from start to run" or something very similiar.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Troy

I passed on the message but, according to them, they've checked all the hoses and used some carb cleaner to spray around any suspected leaks.

Troy

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Troy on June 08, 2011, 11:35:32 AM
I passed on the message but, according to them, they've checked all the hoses and used some carb cleaner to spray around any suspected leaks.

Troy

Ask them for the P code number.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Cooter

Might be running in open loop due to the coolant temp sensor being RIGHT AT the water neck for the thermostat...Computer prolly thinks it's -30 degrees or something..

Ain't it funny how things become an "Emergency" until you CHARGE for the repairs?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Troy

Ok, apparently it was the intake manifold gasket. It's all better now. Thanks for the advice.

Troy