News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clutch reccomendation

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, May 30, 2011, 04:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

im replacing the clutch while the motor and tranny are out. im looking for some reccomendations as i dont know much about them. thanks guys, Mike

oldschool

the centerforce dual friction is a all around good clutch. :Twocents:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

hitail

I am also looking at a clutch and pressure plate change out on my Superbird.
I have looked at several of the past posts with conflicting results.

A lot of the posts are older, anything new? Some mention that the Centerforce clutch can sometimes leave the clutch pedal on the floor as the stock return spring is removed.

Also if you go with a Centerforce can you use a OEM type throwout bearing or do you have to buy theirs?

I also thank everyone for any help.

Hitail

BIGBLCK11

I just put the Centerforce dual friction in my 70.  I will let you know how it acts, after I get to drive it this weekend.  The clutch does not hold the pedal down, but if you leave the over center spring in, the spring will hold the pedal to the floor.  You need to remove the spring, so it does NOT hold the pedal to floor.  The diaphragm type clutch(like the Centerforce) is suppose to be easier on your leg, that is why the over center helper spring, helps too much and holds the pedal to the floor.  It also does not require any special throwout bearing.

Chatt69chgr

The Centerforce Dual Friction is what I got.  Have not installed yet.  You get a package with the pressure plate and clutch disk.  They will not sell you a clutch disk separately.  So when you wear the clutch out, you have to buy the complete setup again.  Leastways, this is the case with the Dual Friction unit they sell.  They sell their own brand throwout bearings.  The one for the 23 spline is not too expensive.  The one for the 18 spline is. 

Passon Performance likes the McLeod clutch.  I don't know much about it.  A call to Jamie Passon would probably yield some good thoughts on why he likes this brand. 

The diaphram style clutches provide for less pedal effort.

The clutches that were supplied as original equipment were the Borg and Beck style using three pressure plate levers.  They require a lot of pedal effort.  Some prefer this style now.

Mick70RR

I use a McLeod clutch, it's the 11.95" clutch kit for the 18 spline tranny. http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=253
part number MCP1118. Brewer's sent me the wrong clutch plate and it only lasted a few months, but after a few emails they sent me the correct complete clutch kit free of charge and that included shipping to the UK. Customer service second to none.  :2thumbs: It's been in the car a few years now and gets hammered regularly on the local strip with no problems.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

elacruze

Centerforce dual friction here. Only 20 miles or so of easing around town, but so far it's excellent. Firm pedal but not tough, smooth all the way down. Nice long engagement point and firm lockup even before broken in. Great manners around town.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.