News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Site Intro Page

Started by chaos52, April 21, 2011, 08:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos52

I have a suggestion to make the site much more user-friendly.
One of the #1 rules in web design is to never make your viewer go to the URL of the site, then have to click on something else to actually get to the home page. A simple PHP redirect is a good way to do it. I've used it on my own site and it works great.
Here's a link to a tutorial on how to create the file.
http://php.about.com/od/learnphp/ht/phpredirection.htm

Troy

Well, there's a reason for it - and it *IS* the home page. There's some history for why there's a "landing page" instead of a straight jump to the forum. There's more to the site than just the forum - although it's not all visible at this time.

Plus, there's no need for a PHP redirect when you control Apache. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Khyron

Quote from: Troy on April 21, 2011, 09:26:37 AM
There's more to the site than just the forum - although it's not all visible at this time.

Troy

do I have to know the secret handshake to get in? :P

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

chaos52

Oh, OK. I wasn't sure how/who was hosting the site.
What other things are on the site besides the forum? It would be nice to have a home page that gives access to them. (Assuming they aren't deprecated or whatever)

-Joe

Troy

Working on it... I just don't have the time to do all the things on my list. I suppose the easiest pieces are the various calculators (basic auto math stuff) and a VIN decoder which are already built. Production number and options lists are mostly built but not complete. There's a Member's Rides gallery but I'm having issues getting the permissions synchronized (one reason why gluing together a bunch of various software can be a bad idea). I have a new approach for the "portal" to link all the pieces but I just started testing it this week.

The site is on a dedicated box at a colocation facility so I have total control.

Troy

chaos52

Wow, it sounds like you've got your hands full.
I'm not a programmer by any means, but I do have moderate experience in HTML, CSS, Javascript and Flash (and Linux, but never on the web server end). I do have quite a bit of experience in graphic design though. Let me know if I can ever help out with anything.

-Joe

RallyeMike

Sounds like some cool upgrades... I always wondered that myself.

Quoteso I have total control.

You forgot to follow that with " bwahahahahahahahaha!"
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Troy

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.