News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fauled plugs?

Started by 7chargers, August 18, 2011, 12:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7chargers

What would be a sign of a fouled plug or plugs, car ran great a few weeks ago took it out for the first time since then and now on exceleration is makes a grawling noise? but as long as I dont get into it, it runs fine? I was going to pull plugs tonight to see how they are burining. :brickwall:

Chryco Psycho

Fouled plugs can misfire under higher load , could be bad spark plug wires as well or a weak coil .
Misfiring  would change the sound of the engine , not sure what your growling sound would be

7chargers

Thanks for the reply, I started to pull plugs and right away I noticed they were Champion which my friends second gen charger would foul champion spark plugs all the time. I'm going to try new wires and the new G3 green plugs and see if that makes the diffrence.

Chryco Psycho

Actually Mopar only used Champion plugs & in my experience Champion are much harder to foul than NGK which most people decide is better . If your Champion plugs are bad then there is other problems present , carb tuning , is the usual problem , if it is eet too rich the plugs will be black , the the plugs are old you need new plugs but they should come out light milk chocolate brown if the tuning is correct & should last 25,000 miles

Charger RT

are you sure the fan isn't hitting the shroud or something like that?
Tim

7chargers

I dont think the fan is hitting the shroud, I started to pull a few plugs they do look old, but look like a golden brown marsh mellow, I fiquire I would get new wires and plugs and test it, if that doesn't work I'm going to look into the carb, which is a new edelbrock 750 cfm.. I heard holley carbs are much better and easier to tune.. well bottom line I dont have the money to get a new carb, I did run 110 octane in the car 2 weeks ago.. about 4-5 gallons mixed with my 91 octane.. hope I didnt jack anything up by doing that.. again the noise is only on aceleration not while just cruising around or at idle..  Motor sounds good at idle, no knocking or rapping... so I'm hoping it's the plugs and wires..

Al

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 19, 2011, 10:29:16 AM
Actually Mopar only used Champion plugs & in my experience Champion are much harder to foul than NGK which most people decide is better . If your Champion plugs are bad then there is other problems present , carb tuning , is the usual problem , if it is eet too rich the plugs will be black , the the plugs are old you need new plugs but they should come out light milk chocolate brown if the tuning is correct & should last 25,000 miles

Hi Chryco Psycho welcome back, it's been a long time.  :cheers:

Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Chryco Psycho

Glad to be back , I finally left Canada & moved to Panama so I have more spare time now !!
Neil

7chargers

The saga continues, I thought I had fouled plugs, just got done changing out the spark plugs with new E3 plugs and 8MM Accel wires. By the way what a pain in the ass on a 383 with stock manifolds. Anyways I take it out for a test drive and it runs good unless i pound on the gas and still getting the growling noise slash almost like a popping sound. Then I put a high performance accel coil on the car and it dies on me as i just get it home and it then it wouldn't start.  I cranked on the car and finally I changed it back to the old coil and it fired right up enough to get it in the back garage. Still very baffled with the noise coming from the engine on take off?? The car ran great until last time I had it out and it I did get caught in heavy rain, could water have gotten into something making the noise or wire short to not make the car run right during acceleration?? Any other ideas.. Any ideas why the super stock acel coil would get so hot that I had to put the OEM one back on? Love my charger but getting ready to just pull the whole motor.. Thanks

bobs66440

The reason the coil is getting hot may be the ballast resistor is not resisting enough, therefore letting too much voltage through to the coil (different coils require different resistors). I think there's supposed to be a max of 7V or so to the coil with the engine running. The growling noise may be the engine missing under load (ignition). Double check that you have the plug wires routed correctly. That's probably the most common cause of this.

Chryco Psycho

noise could be a bad trans mount or U joint in the shaft

7chargers

So did some more trouble shooting on the popping coming from the motor and this is what we did and what we found. So far changed plugs, wires, cap (rotor was fine). Good friend came over and as soon as I fired up the car he said does your carburator usuall making that poping noise? At high load or rpm it makes a crackinling/poping noise out of the carburator. It is a Edelbrock 750 with electronic choke. At low load or low rpm nothing. We tried to adjust the carb and it seemed to do nothing we ensured the carb was working and getting enough gass and it was. we tried to mess with the timming and that did nothing. We even took the carburator off and tried a diffrent one and it made the noise and poping worse? :brickwall: My buddy is pretty knowledgable with mopars and he even said he was baffeled. We are now thinking that it might be internal in the motor. No smoke is blowing out of the exhuast. Again car ran great three weeks ago until I was in a rain storm and ever sense then this issue. Water in the gas?? that would be the only other easy fix we think? Electronic ingnition and the electrical seems to be good. I think the next step is the car sits until this winter were I pull the motor and tear into it? :'( Maybe someone has delt with this or at least can read my issues to help them fiqure out there issues. From a very down 69 Charger owne :shruggy:

Paul G

Do you feel any vibration when it does the "growling"? Significant loss of power? Unless you are positive it is internal in the engine, I would check everything that rotates. Start at the front of the engine, belts pulleys, shroud, fan blades themselves, fan clutch. If nothing up front look under the car at the exhaust, engine and trans mounts, torque converter bolts, etc. Could be as simple as a broken exhaust hanger.

When driving the car get it to "growl" and try to tell where it is coming from, underneath you, in front of you, out back, etc.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Paul G

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 22, 2011, 07:51:42 PM
Glad to be back , I finally left Canada & moved to Panama so I have more spare time now !!
Neil

Neil, are you working on cars down there? Or just soaking up the sunshine?  :icon_smile_cool:
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Chryco Psycho

you could have a bent or dropped pushrod not opening an exhaust valve causing the popping

No Mopars to work on  but there is a local racetrack so I have been hanging around there . Mostly doing lock & handyman work , not enough to keep busy at though so yeah soaking up the sun too