News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

valve fell into cylinder

Started by Tscott38, January 07, 2012, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tscott38

I was attempting to install new valve stem seals in my 440 and I guess I didn't have enough air pressure in the cylinder and the valve slid down into the cylinder.  Its down below the top of the guide about 1/2".  Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it back up withour removing the head?  I've searched the site fo ran hour but couldn't find an instance where someone did something so stupid.   Any suggestions?  I would think a magnet would work but don't know if a 3/8" diameter magnet would be strong enough to pick up a valve. 

Cooter

Hang on, gonna see if I can help here. First, try to remove the spark plug GENTLY. Then, with a small screwdriver, or whatever, reach into cylinder and try moving the valve up GENTLY. If this doesn't work, a small Magnet from Snap-On does pick up an amazing amount and is VERY small. I'm looking at one right now and it looks to have a head about the size of a Pencil eraser. If this doesn't work, then try rotating the enigne SLOWLY enough to see which way the valve moves. Up or Down. I think it's sitting on top of piston. You can try to use the piston to push the valve back up till you can grab it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger4404spd

And if that doesnt work, you could try sliding a piece of wire through the plug hole and try to get under the valve and lift up. I think the magnet should work.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Tscott38

thanks for the suggestions.  I tried putting a plastic pen in the spark plug hole but i couldn't do anything, let alone find the valve.  I have some plastic coated wire that i might try - dont want to scratch around in there with a coathanger.  Do you think if the cylinder is at TDC would the stem be out of the ghuide?  I hope so.  I go try again.   

Cooter

Be careful NOT to drop the valve all the way into the cylinder by rotating the engine the wrong way (Piston Down).
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: Tscott38 on January 07, 2012, 08:33:25 PM
thanks for the suggestions.  I tried putting a plastic pen in the spark plug hole but i couldn't do anything, let alone find the valve.  I have some plastic coated wire that i might try - dont want to scratch around in there with a coathanger.  Do you think if the cylinder is at TDC would the stem be out of the ghuide?  I hope so.  I go try again.   

Please correct me if I';m wrong but the cylinder walls should be a whole lot stronger than lets say copper electrical wire no?  A softer material would not marr the harder material.  You could take a piece of stiff electrical wire, bend it how you need it and try that to poke around. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

oldkimmer

....................I  dropped a valve 1ce.............take off the manifold weather exhaust or intake......use needle nose pliers to push it up..........kim...........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob T

Or try a couple of magnets from a slot car on the end of a welding rod , only about 5mm across and really quite powerful
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

elacruze

Get some small rope, and stuff it in through the plug hole, to keep the valve from falling all the way in-be sure you leave plenty to pull it back out with. Then, if a magnet won't work (if you have stainless valves, it won't) get something like a pencil, and some very stiff axle grease. Worst case, you could clean the tip real good and use a tiny bit of loctite on the tip of your instrument-but if so, be very very careful not to use enough that it gets between the valve and guide. This would be your last resort, in case you screw it up and have to take the head off that would have been your next move anyway.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

suntech

A magnet will not work if you have stainless steel valves. I would first try with a piece of wire, app 1mm thick, so it will be stiff enaugh to lift the valve. Make a 90 deg. kink in it app 6-8 mm from the end, try to get the wire end under the dish, and try pull the pull the valve up like this.......if that doesnt work......you will need to pull either the inlet manifold or a header, and use a plier to push it back up :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Tscott38 on January 07, 2012, 08:33:25 PM

I changed the valve seals on a 340 using the piston at TDC with no air. No problem with that....never done that on a big block (yet) so I can't confirm.

Tscott38

so if the intake is off, I can see the valve stems? Just grip it with a pair of pliers and push it up.  It's been a while since I've had one off - that should be a relatively easy fix then if the magnet trick doesn't work.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I tried and tried with a piece of 12 ga romex to get it under the valve and couldn't do anything.  working blind  thru the plug hole is tough. 

elacruze

Quote from: Tscott38 on January 09, 2012, 02:07:40 PM
so if the intake is off, I can see the valve stems? Just grip it with a pair of pliers and push it up.  It's been a while since I've had one off - that should be a relatively easy fix then if the magnet trick doesn't work.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I tried and tried with a piece of 12 ga romex to get it under the valve and couldn't do anything.  working blind  thru the plug hole is tough. 

um, you may be gripping a portion of the stem that travels into the guide...be gentle. Wrap the plier tips with masking tape, at least.

Or use Bacon.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BIGBLCK11

The magnet will work for stock, steel valves, if it is powerful enough.  I did the same thing last spring.  I just used a flexible shaft, magnetic pickup tool, with an eraser-sized head.  Sorry, it has no markings, so I don't know what brand it is.  

BigBlackDodge

firefighter3931

Rotate the engine to TDC and the piston will push the valve high enough to grab the stem. Be careful not to gouge the valvestem.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

heyoldguy

Should he pack the cylinder with bacon before raising the pistion to top dead center?

flyinlow

Get 15 feet of 3/8 gas hose. Hook to the brake booster  vacuum supply nipple of a running car. Use the hose as a shop vac over the valve guide to suck the valve back up.  A shop vac with addaptors might work also.   :Twocents:

nvrbdn

Quote from: flyinlow on January 10, 2012, 06:27:32 PM
Get 15 feet of 3/8 gas hose. Hook to the brake booster  vacuum supply nipple of a running car. Use the hose as a shop vac over the valve guide to suck the valve back up.  A shop vac with addaptors might work also.   :Twocents:

thats a wild idea,has it worked before? i like it.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House