News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

120V WIRE FEED WELDERS, WHAT'S YOU'RE CHOICE ???

Started by skip68, May 11, 2011, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I've wanted a small 120 volt wire feed for years now. Anyway, I'm still in northern CA helping my mom at the family ranch and needed a welder to finish building my.utility trailer.and do some other repairs.  I didn't want a cheap one so I found a deal on a nice Lincoln weld pak 3200hd wire feed welder .  This thing is nice and I love it. I did some wheeling &dealing so when I go home the welder is mine and goes with me.  What do you guys think about Lincoln's?
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Tilar

I've used many of them and there is nothing wrong with Lincoln Welders, but I don't personally own any. I have a Hobart stick welder and a Millermatic 200 that I just picked up at an auction. It will do spot welding too. I'm kind of anxious to try it out.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

I found a 220v Chicago Electric with argon bottle on Craigslist for $400....this thing works great...

from my research... don't use the "flux wire"...it ain't all that great...

68coronetGLwannabe

Definetly stay away from the "Flux core". It makes a big mess with all the spatter.   :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Rolling_Thunder

avoid flux core....        when I was first learning to weld they stuck me with that crap...       not easy to weld sheet metal with that stuff and does make a huge mess.

I scored a 120v Hobart 130 MIG off CL for like $300.00 with a full tank and 2 spools of wire about a year ago -   I'm happy with it...      in my experience Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln are all the same thing...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Domino

MW 4110, it's pretty old, but works great. Running Argon-CO2 mix.

RallyeMike

I'm using Hobart with Argon/Co2 mix since about 1998-99. It's built several race and demo cars and still going strong, never had a problem with it.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bobs66440

I use a 15 year old Napa that works great. Of course, the ones they have today are probably very different. Definitely stay away from the flux core. It makes a huge mess and nasty looking welds.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

Mine is a Daytona Mig, works pretty good for me. 4 heat settings & infinite wire speed control.
I did get a chance to use a friend's Lincoln welder, which I thought worked better.
Both are good.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1BAD68

I've had my Lincoln for about 6 or 7 years and its great.
My Uncle just bought a Eastwood for 299.00 w/free shipping and I went over to check it out. I must say its a nice welder,
pretty much just like my Lincoln and has infinite voltage control. It welds nice too.

squeakfinder

I've got a Hobart 135 Handler. Haven't had any problems with it but I like the 220 wire feed welders at work better.
They've got more penetration and duty cycle.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Wilde Racing

I love my Miller 211 MVP. 110 or 220 with a super easy plug switch out. It welds better than expected at 110.
Twin Turbo, Fuel Injected, Coil-on-Plug, 69 Charger.
Little to no cutting to make it all fit.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73346.0.html

bakerhillpins

Just out of curiosity - What the heck is the flux core stuff good for then?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mikepmcs

nothing except you don't have to buy gas.  you can use it for tacking and get away with it but not great for much else.

My vote to the original question is a Lincoln SP 135.  
http://www.semirca.com/images/lincolne722.pdf

or, you can get a weld pak 100 for about 3 bills and get the gas option kit.

I made my choice on quality at that price point.

Obviously Miller and Hobart would be choices if money is not a concern. 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chatt69chgr

I think the flux core is used where welding is done outside in windy conditions.

skip68

Flux is good but not as clean as gas.  My welds look fine with flux but I do have the gas option, I just need the bottle.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

elitecustombody

Miller or Hobart (which is made by Hobart) for me. I had new Lincoln give me nothing but problems since day one, needless to say after about 15-20 hours on it I bought Hobart. A local independent welding equipment rep. told me if I wanted a machine that won't give me problems,buy Miller or Hobart, which is made by Miller. He even told me where to go and buy one local cheaper than what he was selling them.

So if anyone that is looking to buy a quality welder, call your local welder repair shops and see which welders are more common foe problems, you'll get honest opinion.

I can say withou a doubt I love my Hobart, I had serious heavy duty welding project that lasted for about two weeks with metal 1/4-3/8 inch thick,running welder for pretty much all day with only short breaks for set up and measure, I've put i to the test and it works flawless. 

OP, if you want another Lincoln with about 20 hours on it,I'll make you a great deal :icon_smile_wink:     

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan