News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clutch grab?

Started by boss429kiwi, May 16, 2011, 03:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

On my Superbird, the clutch grabs at approx 2" from the floor.

Meaning:
When pressing in the clutch, there is a point where it grabs and requires more pressure to press further, sometime very hard.
I am confident it is not the linkages and the problem seems to be inside the bell housing.

Is this a common problem?
Pressure plate?
Carrier?

Everything is only 6 or so years old.

Any thoughts, before I "dig deeper"

Gary

NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

doctor4766

Not sure how these gearboxes are set up, but I once had a car that did the same sort of thing.
Turned out the thrust bearing "yoke?" arm had started to split and it wasn't engaging completely, no matter hard you depressed the clutch.
Gotta love a '69

elacruze

The key word here is 'sometimes'.

If it is an intermittent problem, it is something mechanical that should be able to be discovered with a thorough visual inspection.
Is the pedal slack near the top, or does it feel like you're pushing the clutch spring?
Look for clutch fork bent or split, or throwout bearing hanging up on input shaft snout. The snouts get grooved after many years and can catch the throwout bearing, particularly if the fork is bent and pushing the bearing cockeyed.

Check too that your Z-bar is not installed backwards; if so, the fat plate end can strike the frame bracket about 3/4 depressed, forcing it to move towards the engine to clear. look for scraped paint on the front corner of the frame bracket.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.