News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front disc and rear drum valve set up

Started by metallicareload99, May 19, 2011, 02:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

I am converting my 68 Charger from 4 wheel manual drums to manual discs upfront with drums still in back.  I have a drum/disc master cylinder and I plan to use the same 4 wheel drum "distribution block/hydraulic safety switch."  I also have a Willwood adjustable proportioning valve that I will install on the rear line.

I also have a separate "hold-off valve/metering valve" that I would rather not deal with.  If I must have it, do I put this valve on the front line to "hold off the front discs while the rear drums have time to engage" or do I put it on the rear line to "keep the drums from locking up before the front discs start working?"  It also seems that some people do this conversion without worrying about it.  The information I have been able to find so far has been confusing.  Thanks for any help
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

resq302

If you have the adjustable proportioning valve in the line between the distribution block and the rear brakes, you do not need to use the hold off / proportioning valve.

FYI - the distribution block that was used on the b bodys up to 69 was the same for disc and drum brakes.  The only difference was the proportioning valve that was in the line that went to the rear brakes.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BigBlockSam

if you have to correct master cylinder . you can just use your stock distribution block . that's what i did and they work correctly and stop great  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img