News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many cars did Hamtramck produce per day during the 68 model year?

Started by bull, May 06, 2011, 12:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I found some info on the 1970 Hamtramck Registry page saying that they produced roughly 1,340 cars per day during the 1970 model year. Is there any information out there that estimates how many were produced each day for the 68 model year?

Here's where I'm going with this: If the daily production number is known, is there any real accurate way to get a car's unknown build date (a car with a VIN but no tag or build sheet) based on the sequence number of another car's known build date?

bull

Pansies. I guess this is a question for the real Mopar fans over at Moparts. :nana:

Dans 68

Saw this thread for the first time. Pansies... :rofl:  All Moparts will do to this topic is get it locked....

I figure for the 92,470 or so Chargers made, they assembled 64,784 at Hamtramck (with 27,686 assembled in St. Louis starting March 1st 1968). Divide out 365 days minus 2 weeks (for re-tooling from the previous model year) and you get 185 per day. Roughly. This does not factor in holidays or weekends or acts of God shutting down the lines. Just an educated guess.  :scratchchin:

And if the lines did not work the weekends then roughly 262 per day.

Dan

Hmm, re-read the question and see Bull wanted the entire 1968 Hamtramck vehicles/day produced. On that I have no frickin' idea....  :P
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Alaskan_TA

For all cars of that era, there is no way to know the actual build date.

That changed late in the 1972 model year with the MDH (Month, Day, Hour) Mylar door stickers.

The dates on fender tags & broadcast sheets are the day they HOPED to build the car when the order first hit the system.

So.......

There is no way to know.

69CoronetRT

Quoteis there any real accurate way to get a car's unknown build date (a car with a VIN but no tag or build sheet) based on the sequence number of another car's known build date?

You can look at the VIN from a car with an unknown and compare it to cars with a similar VIN and known SPD and say the VIN of the first car is consistent with the known VIN/SPD combinations but without factory documentation, you can never say for sure what the first car's SPD was.

RE: Production per day. Remember, the number of cars built fluctuated with demand so there were times of the year when the number per day would be higher than other times. Production per day was probably highest in the fall when the new models came out and in the spring. It would start to slow down toward the end of the model year.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

:lol: I knew that would get the ball rolling. Thanks.

The Hamtramck info for 1970 is basically just an average based on total model year production divided by work days, which is about all you can do to figure the 68 production numbers. I guess the only accurate way to assign a build date to an unknown car is to get the sequence number off a known car that's within just a few numbers on the VIN.