News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

want 1\4 skin install picsplease

Started by c00nhunterjoe, April 30, 2011, 08:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Looking for advice on 1\4 skin replacement and pictures. I made my own repairs on my fender but the 1\4s are past salvagable. I toyed with patches but its more cost eddective to put skins on and full panels are waaayyyyy out of my budget.  This will be my first undertaking of this type so any help and advice is appreciated. I am a very competent mechanice and welder but this is a first for super thin metal toying. I work on tanks so I'm not used to this thin stuff.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

c00nhunterjoe

Wow, that is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!  Looks relativly painless. What size mig wire should I use? .023 or .030 work?

Silver R/T

.023 would be best with 140 welder as it will keep welds a little cooler
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

c00nhunterjoe

Kinda figured that, will have to pick up a spool.

randr

I have done many quarters and i ALWAYS have jack stands on rear end and on front suspension, you want car sitting as it does when on ground while you fit and weld. :Twocents: not sure if it makes a huge difference but has worked well for me.
I'm Bored! what to do next......

elitecustombody

I suggest using air blower gun after each spot weld to keep distortion down  :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Cooter

Joe, welding sheetmetal is way different than welding thick ass Tank metal. First, spot wleds ONLY, and one helluva lot of 'em.

After this, it's gravy. Now, for the BS side of quarter replacement. block sanding Blows monkey nutz....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"