News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 383-440 A/C engine guys...Alt belts?

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, April 22, 2011, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Those with '69 383-440's that are running the stock A/C setup....what belts are you using for the AC/Alt?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

What do mean, size make?  Got mine at Car Quest. Nothing special.  
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: y3chargerrt on April 23, 2011, 06:42:33 AM
I have these belts Chris.

http://www.quantaproducts.com/product/1469/1969-Alternator--Air-Conditioning-Belt--383--440-C-I-/B-4623A.aspx

Thats what I have/had myself (the set is actually on eBay now & I think Im going to end the auction to keep them)  I took them off because I thought the AC/Alt belts got stretched (looser than last season and Im at the end of the adjustment on the bracket)
So last year in preparation for said stretching event (the repro belts are known for this) I bought a full set of Good Year belts from Rock Auto.
I go to put the AC/Alt belts on & what do you know they are just as long! (61" according to the specs)  So I figure I'll order up a set of 60.5" belts....nope too SHORT now.
So I take the lower bracket off & grind the slot larger almost to the edge....got the Good Year belts tighter now but still at the edge of the adjustment.

Rob looking at your pic it seems like you are as well and the #7612 belt is the same as the Good Year belts I got
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Yeah mine are at the slot end also. I don't have the stress of the compressor to worry about so snug works.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I dont have the stress either (not chargd at the moment) But I would like to keep the belts on & not fly off & take out everything else
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

histoy

When you get the belts it's best to get a matched pair, made from the same lot number, so they tighten evenly.

resq302

Chris,

I had the same problem with my Quanta belts.  I had to end up getting a next diameter smaller so I still had adjustment on it.  Granted, they are not the "correct" Chrysler numbers but they still have the Pentastar on them and look original.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

moparmark

Chris,

I'll check the belt numbers on my car tonight and let you know.My car is in storage right now in town so when I go there today I'll let you know.

Mark