News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 rebuild, new rod bearing have no hole for rod oiling notch

Started by 69RTSEV88, April 15, 2011, 07:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSEV88

Im in the process of rebuilding my 69 440.  I ordered new Sealed Power (federal Mogul) rod bearings part # 2320CP .010 under and the new bearings have no matching notch in them for the rod cap oiling notch.  I took the rods to a NAPA machine shop to have new pistons installed and the head guy there said he sees alot of new rod bearings for notched rods (I guess Ford does the same thing) that dont have the notch in them.  He says the bearing mfg's say its not necessary with modern oils.  Is this true?  Can I just bypass the oil notch?  What new bearings have the notch now?  If possible, can I cut a small groove into the new bearings for this or is that too big of a gamble?

oldcarnut

I went out and looked at mine still sitting in the box (same part #) and they're like that too.  Don't remember how the originals were because I trashed them a while back.

69RTSEV88

My old bearings have a small notch in the rod cap half to match the notch in the cap.  They are however not the original bearings as this motor was definately remaned at one time.   I searched on here and found another thread where a guy bought Clevit 77 rod bearings for his big block rebuild and he was concearned that they were a burnt color (which was determined to be good with clevit) and they also didn't have the oiling notch in them so apperently more than one bearing mfg is doing this.  I really don't know what to do, do I just throw caution to the wind and put the motor back together with the new bearings?  Honestly even though I'm sure Chrysler engineers had there reasoning for these holes I just dont see what they do.  Both rods get oiled through the crank journal oil holes and then the oil is slung off the revolving crank to the rods and cylinder walls.  Just what exactly does the little rod cap oiling notch do?

Challenger340

The original purpose of the brg notch, was to allow a more positive squirt of oil to lubricate the wrist pin on the opposite piston on the same journal.
Since those days,
Pin lubrication by "splash" and run-off from the spinning crank has proven adequate in most applications.

Best practise when using Brgs with no notch, if you are concerned about "insuring" adequate Pin Lube, is to have the Piston Pins PIN-FIT in the Pistons(stock apps .0006-.0008" or hotrod .0008-.001"),
and,
make sure adequate Rod side clearance in pairs is present when assembling.(.018-.020").

Only wimps wear Bowties !