News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering box leak

Started by billschroeder5842, May 15, 2011, 03:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

Hey All!

My '69 has power steering and the box has always had a small leak out of the very top where there is a nut and a small "dome" looking thing. It is now to the point where there is enough seepage that I need to consider doing something with it.

Anyone else have this happen before and how can you fix it?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

68 RT

Firm Feel stage 2 box, you won't regret it. Well worth it in the long run.  :Twocents:

twodko

Its a common gripe. My 69 had the same issue...........the best fix - Firm Feel stage 2!
Worth every dime.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

billschroeder5842

Okay, so how much are one of these units and can I swap them myself (meaning special tools etc)? I'm reasonably handy but have never done a gear box.

Also, how will the car steer when I'm done? Will I notice a big difference?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

twodko

Hey Bill,

The FF II box is $330. If you send them your old box first they won't charge you a core fee of $175. If you want the box first they want the core charge too. Installing the box is not hard. If you're running headers you may have to unbolt that side's motor mount to lift the motor a bit to RR the box.
Afterwards you'll find the steering a lot tighter, much more responsive with little or no slop and you get a better "road" feel. These really are the way to go. :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68X426

Cheap option is Lucas and live with it.  :-\

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

oldcarnut

May be just a couple orings.  There's a drawing at the top of the link and some assy pics further down. Fairly easy job http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67669.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: oldcarnut on May 17, 2011, 12:12:37 AM
May be just a couple orings.  There's a drawing at the top of the link and some assy pics further down. Fairly easy job http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67669.0.html

Agree, mine leaked and I fixed it while in the car.  Not you're leak ( yet ).

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

billschroeder5842

Okay....I'm looking at the cheap fix for the moment; two daughters graduating a wife who watches every penny!

Where can I get an "O" ring kit?
Texas Proud!