News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LED Light Install Turn Signal Problem

Started by Charger_Dart, March 18, 2011, 09:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Dart

I have searched around and can't seem to find anything on the LED light install problem I have run into. Hoping someone here might have an idea for me to try.

The turn signals and hazard flashers work fine in my car with regular bulbs. They all flash like they should, when they should. I like the benefits of LED bulbs so I thought I would try swapping bulbs in my '68. I installed a LED HD flasher unit and tested it with the regular bulbs and everything worked correctly. For some reason when I swap in the LED bulbs both the left and the right sides flash with either turn signal direction. If I leave one LED in on one side and a regular bulb on the other side it works like it should. This really has me puzzled why both sides want to flash with the directionals when both sides have the new LED bulbs installed.
I know some people on this site have installed LED's in thier cars, anyone ever seen anything like this?
Thanks, Mike
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

68coronetGLwannabe

I had to add a extra ground from the flasher in one vehicle to get them to work. My buddy did his 68 Charger and had to add grounding device that hooked into each rear blinker wire. He picked them up at Checker or Autozone.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Charger_Dart

Thanks for the tip. I have one of those grounded flasher units and it only seems to work if the ground wire is grounded well.
Maybe I need one of those grounding devices you described. I am not sure what that is, do you have any additional info on them?

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Charger_Dart on March 18, 2011, 09:37:08 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have one of those grounded flasher units and it only seems to work if the ground wire is grounded well.
Maybe I need one of those grounding devices you described. I am not sure what that is, do you have any additional info on them?

I looks like a small ceramic ballast resister with a wire coming out of each end. I would say its about a inch or so long. Google LED resister and there is tons of info.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

A383Wing

I use the electronic flasher found at all part stores for around $10....same steady flash rate no matter what bulbs or LED's are used

Charger_Dart

I will add a resistor and see what happens. Thanks  :cheers:

bigblue73

You need a no-load electronic flasher.  They are available at your local parts store for under $8.00.  Purchase two, one for the turn signals the other other for the hazard circuit.  There reason that the stock unit don't work is the low amperage draw of the LED units.  The bi-metals flashers that are stock on our car need to see a "Load" to operate.  Change them out and you'll be fine.

Charger_Dart

Thanks bigblue73, I installed one of the no-load flashers in the car when I tried the LED bulbs. The one I purchased was a EF32RL unit.
It turned out that I had a couple of badly designed 1157 LED bulbs for the front amber lights. I replaced them with different ones and everything started working correctly.
All is good now  :2thumbs: