News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Dash pad and Heater Control panel

Started by PlainfieldCharger, July 08, 2012, 11:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlainfieldCharger

Hello All,
I have a brain teaser. I have read all over the forum that the 68 and 69 charger have the same dash. Mine came with a dash pad installed, just not a 68. It appears to be a 69. I started test fitting the AC Heater Control panel in as I installed the after market 2 speaker assembly to check clearance, and I cannot see the words on the panel. The dash pad hides them. So, I got out my 69 AC heater control panel, and the words are hidden the same way. :brickwall: Anyone run into to this.

PlainfieldCharger

Ghoste

PlainfieldCharger

Not Sure on that. It does have a metal core in it. I am have problems uploading pics to this site. If possible I can send some to your email. Maybe you can post them on this thread until I figure this stuff out.

PlainfieldCharger

b5blue

You have heard wrong! 68 pad is not "peaked in the center" as 69 and 70. The heater control is chrome and shaped much different then 69-70 and the dash "face" for 68 is ribbed. 68-69 glove box doors open upwards, 70 open downwards so that is a similar feature along with the flasher switch next to the BRAKE warning light, the flasher switch moved to the steering column along with the keyed ignition switch for 70. So really each year is specific in some ways to that year. I have a 70 and see listings all the time on eBay that would lead you to think they were interchangeable, really the only parts I think can be used in all 3 years are the wiper and washer switches, gauge frame and lenses, gauges, speedo and clock.  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

b5blue

69-70 the controls hang down with larger black button sliders. You may have a 69-70 pad.

b5blue

Ghoste

IF they are the same and if that is a 69 dash pad and those are 69 hvac controls, something doesn't look right there to me.   :shruggy:

b5blue

No he has the smaller chrome button controller not the big black button one, I think the 69-70 pad hangs down to hide the optional control light bar more. It's a rather large rectangle in front of the buttons I don't think was an option in 68.  :scratchchin: He needs to do a 68 dash search here....

PlainfieldCharger

Here is a pic of the panel in the dash with the pad removed.

PlainfieldCharger

Have been doing 68 dash searchs since last night when I found this problem. It appears that the 68 is thinner. I am sure that the pad I have is not a 68. I will be getting one from PG. Just don't under stand that when I put the 69 control panel with the 69 pad. It still will not show the "lighted" words on the 69 panel.  :brickwall:

PlainfieldCharger

Here is a pic of the Control panels for comparison

PlainfieldCharger

Here is one of the Dash pad.

b5blue

OKAY, the control in the foreground is 68, the one in the rear would have functions printed on the buttons. So now, as I have a 70, I assume the 68 pad is 1st flatter in the center and 2nd scooped out more to reveal the functions listed on the controls base.  :scratchchin: 

PlainfieldCharger

The rear control panel does have the functions printed on the buttons. They both have the same "foot print" though....My conclusion is the Dash pad is really wronge. Shouldn't the 69 panel work with the 69 pad? Is that a 69 pad? Many questions?

THANKS for you replys!! ;)

b5blue

Ghoste

PlainfieldCharger

Both are the same. I put them in. That is why I am confused and started this "simple" thread. :brickwall:

DC_1

Not sure the question. The 68-70 dash frames are the same. The 68 heater controls have the words in the display window. It is visible with the 68 dash pad that is peaked in the middle. The 69 controls have the words stenciled on the actual buttons so they are visible with the 69 dash pad.

PlainfieldCharger

The 69 controls are NOT visible. I know these light up to see them. But, you cannot see the the part of the panel that has the words that illuminate. This was the reason I started this thread. I know something is wrong. I am getting a 68 pad. Just dosen't make sense why neither would work for me.

Ghoste

That's the part that threw me and why I asked if the 69 pad was a stock one or not.  I'm wondering if it may have been recovered or something?

DC_1

The dash pad pic you have above looks like a 69 pad but it is no sitting properly.

Should look like this

The 68 installed looks like this

PlainfieldCharger

Thanks for the PICS. The 69 dash pic is how my 68 looks with the "69"? pad on my 68. Question is, can you still see the Control words at night when they are lit on that 69 setup? The panel was installed flush mounted to the underside of the dash frame.  The 68 dash pad missing appears to be my problem. I should have mine by the end of the week. Anybody need a nice 69 dash pad.  ;) I will take some pics of the 68 pad when I have it installed. Thanks for your replies. :cheers: