News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best heads for a 500ci stroker

Started by ChargerST, March 28, 2011, 10:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

I'm thinking about getting a 500ci stroker (440 block) built but have no clue which heads I should use. Motor should be pump gas friendly and not a race only engine (broad powerband - ports shouldn't be too large)

What are the best heads in terms of:

flow? MP Stage VI CNC ported (Chapman design)?

bang for the buck? Eddies (CNC), Indy (out of the box), Indy (CNC), 440 source,...

any other good heads? what's possible in terms of porting an Eddy/Indy head?

Thanks

Long Island RT

I'm no expert- but the few things I learned from this site tend me to ask:

What kind of power are looking to develop?
What kind of money are looking to spend?
Street only or do you want to hit the track?

The cam choice will be just as important as the heads.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

ChargerST

Good questions!

Power wise: as much as possible to be still drivable on the street. 90% street driven.
Maybe I should reformulate my question:

What power levels can be achieved with certain heads and still be streetable?

Haven't decided on any parts yet but here's the outline I was thinking about:

440 block -> 500 ci (440source balanced)
10.5:1 compression
zero deck (dish pistons probably needed)
cam: either flat tapped or roller
iron ductile rocker arms
dual plane intake? -> low end torque
Dough Thorley or TTI headers  (1 7/8"?)

Engine should have lots of low end and middle band torque.

Budget? Not sure but I would say between 10 and 13k - achievable goal considering that I wouldn't reuse any parts from my old engine (wanna keep my numbers matching engine)?

dstryr

You can easily make 600hp with a 512 Source kit, mildly ported Source heads(flowing approx 283 on the intake side) and a comp cams XS290S, because mine does ;D  with 10.2:1 compression and 2" Doug's headers.  It's getting a new exhaust system bent for it now so I should have a report after the weekend on the first real street miles with the new motor.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

firefighter3931

Look in the proven combo's section for lots of good stroker builds with dyno numbers. One of those should be what you're looking for.  ;)

On a mostly street build i like a standard port head for broad power and drivability. Even with a mild stroker you'll be making enough power to run solid 11's at the track.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: ChargerST on March 28, 2011, 10:36:48 AM
I'm thinking about getting a 500ci stroker (440 block) built but have no clue which heads I should use. Motor should be pump gas friendly and not a race only engine (broad powerband - ports shouldn't be too large)

What are the best heads in terms of:

flow? MP Stage VI CNC ported (Chapman design)?

bang for the buck? Eddies (CNC), Indy (out of the box), Indy (CNC), 440 source,...

any other good heads? what's possible in terms of porting an Eddy/Indy head?

Thanks

My 505 stroker is almost done being built and the only area where I will be leaving power on the table is running the stock Eddy Heads with upgraded springs.  I bought these heads when I thought I was building a snotty 440, but  turns out I needed a new crank and then it was logical choice to go with a 505 stroker.

In doing my research I spoke with one of the PREMIER Big Block Wedge Engine builder and head porter in the Country, Dwayne Porter, (Firefighter can confirm he is simply one of the best), and he recommended for a 10:5 street/strip 500ci build, that I run the following heads which I will eventually graduate to in a several years b/c they will pick me up at another 40 to 50 hp I'm leaving on the table.   :brickwall:

Here you go:

1.  For a 505 stroker he recommends running the Indy 440 EZ-1 heads, with the 275cc max wedge opening to be matched with Indys Max Wedge Intake Manifold with its 275 cc volume opening (port matched to each other).

That's the winning ticket here and best of luck.  The heads are only around $2590 from Indy fully assembled and are about the same price from Dwayne Porter.  
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

dstryr

One reason I went with the Source heads is that they look almost bone stock and I used my stock 6bbl intake and carbs, so the only modification obvious to the casual onlooker is the headers.   
Ron and Dwayne both gave great advice as my motor was going together, also. :2thumbs:  Thanks again!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

gasoline_24

I went with the Indy heads from Duane and they are great.  Wayne Smothers built it all and dynoed it and I could not be happier with the combo.

Hot_Rodder

I was going to build a similar motor running the 512 kit, ect... After getting my heads (Stealths modified by Modern Cylinder Head), couple things happened, and I had to change my build plan. A good roller cam, and a nice set of heads will get you there easily, and depending on the combo, will probably leave you room to spare should you want a little more down the road...

ChargerST

I was under the impression that heads are probably the most important part when building an engine. That's why I asked about best bang for the buck.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: ChargerST on March 30, 2011, 04:31:12 PM
I was under the impression that heads are probably the most important part when building an engine. That's why I asked about best bang for the buck.

Your right heads are CRUCIAL to the power an engine is going to make of course matched with the proper cam shaft and working in conjuction with other properly selected components for that engine build.  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Challenger340

Check your 440 Source Kit out VERY CAREFULLY !

The last kit a Customer brought into my Shop in February, was ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL !

Crank REGRIND Complete, could NOT be saved at .001"under, had to go .010/.010
Re-Size all Rods to correct .001", a FULL THOU Over-range,
Balancing was out 27 grams left plane, 7 grams right plane, Rods and Pistons were "untouched", out +/- 5 grams.

Kit included B2 Babbit Mains, something I disagree with for a Street engine, however, that is only my personal preference.
However,
The Machining/Balancing, is NOT up for debate, BRUTAL !

YES,
I forwarded an email to them on the Customers behalf, no response as yet.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ChargerST

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 30, 2011, 09:39:26 PM

The last kit a Customer brought into my Shop in February, was ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL !

Balancing was out 27 grams left plane, 7 grams right plane, Rods and Pistons were "untouched", out +/- 5 grams.

Kit included B2 Babbit Mains, something I disagree with for a Street engine, however, that is only my personal preference.
However,

YES,

Was this kit bought balanced or unbalanced? 440source is just one option - so better to go with Eagle or Callies?

firefighter3931

Mancini has a great deal on stroker kits : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/ma493ci440di.html

This kit comes with an Eagle crank & rods as well as Diamond dished pistons (pump gas). Also included are rings and bearings.  :2thumbs:

I'd order the unbalanced kit and have your machinist balance it when he's doing the assembly work  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Quote from: ChargerST on March 31, 2011, 02:01:46 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on March 30, 2011, 09:39:26 PM

However,

YES,

Was this kit bought balanced or unbalanced? 440source is just one option - so better to go with Eagle or Callies?

The Kit was purchased "balanced", which they had done on the Crank, albeit incorrectly, with NO Piston or Rod corrections.

Maybe also try SCAT Enterprises, or K1 stuff which is Wiseco.
It is still Chinese Forgings which keeps the price down, however, the finishing machining labor applied is FAR BETTER !

In all fairness, I have seen many 440 source kits in the past which were acceptable, requiring only minor adjustments for service.
This Kit was the "Exception" in my experience thus far, and the most recently acquired, which I hope does NOT point to a continuing trend ? Which I also mentioned in my email.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 31, 2011, 09:50:33 AM
Mancini has a great deal on stroker kits : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/ma493ci440di.html

This kit comes with an Eagle crank & rods as well as Diamond dished pistons (pump gas). Also included are rings and bearings.  :2thumbs:

I'd order the unbalanced kit and have your machinist balance it when he's doing the assembly work  :yesnod:

Ron

That is a SMOKING DEAL, leave it up to Ron to have this stuff at his fingertips!  :2thumbs: