News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Grille help

Started by TXcharger70, March 29, 2011, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

So i ordered a grille hardward kit for my 70 grille but i need to know where exactly they go, I can figure some of them out but i don't know where some of the clips go. Does anybody have a pic with the hardware installed? It came with 12 plastic washer,screws, and nuts(clips) i would appreciate the help

twodko

It sounds like the upper and lower fasteners used to attach the plastic grille assembly to the steel grille frame and latch panel. A pix would really help.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

TXcharger70

Yes that is exactly it. Just wonder what parts of the grille cause there a few spots where i don't know where nuts go and how many it takes, if it takes all 12 or just 10. There are 8 possible spots just on top of the grille. The very outsides(metal bracket), then 2 in middle of the headlight doors, then 4 (2 spots per side) for the headlight door bracket. Then there is the bottom. I will try to get a pic if i can of the grille

TXcharger70

I also just remembered did the grill also take a threaded bolts with a nut on each side at the ends of each side of the grille? This could be part of my confusion

TXcharger70

this is not my grille this is Tolley's using it as a reference so that you can see the mounting.

twodko

From what I can see in the pix, there appears to be 2 mounting holes on the top (my 69 has 5 on top) and I suspect there are 4-6 mounting holes on the bottom. I guess the last four would be for 2 on each end. :shruggy: I'd like to see a close shot of the end and the underside of the grille to be sure. Lastly, if the bolt kit came with 12 fasteners the grille will use all 12. Keep us posted and.........

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

TXcharger70

OK so what hold these far left and the one to the right up cause i don't think that any of the new hardware i got goes to these. Or if anybody has some good pics of there grille from the underside and top where these two mounts are would help out

TXcharger70

BIGBLCK11

I will check mine tomorrow.  Not sure, what pics I can provide, as I just disassembled it.  But, I left the grill assembly in one piece. The other brackets are still on the car, so I am sure I can get you a pic of something useful.  I wish I had taken pics prior, for when I put it back together, after a tranny swap and some other work.

Domino

Far left is fastened through from the underside, I'm not confident my grill had the correct hardware so I need to defer what the bolt head should look like.
The one to the right (above the middle of the headlight door) is not used for anything which is why you see that sagging a little on the '70s

TXcharger70

that helps thanks i just need to figure out the far left one as far as what bolt/screw and fastener it takes

BIGBLCK11

The grill attaches to the 'upper reinforcement'.  I took pictures of the highlighted areas.  Hope it helps.

TXcharger70

OK i see that thanks for the pic. My question now is what screw/bolt and does it takes clip to hold the grille to the support on the corners.

BIGBLCK11

Top outside hole, lower half of white spacer rides on this, then upper reinforcement panel, then upper white washer.  As the diagram shows screws go up from the grill outer loop and have a nut, not a clip.  Other than these 2 nuts, that I don't see in your pic, you use those screws and clips along with the spacers for directly connecting the grille.

The bottom four mounts have the white spacers on the lower reinforcement, but have the clips on the headlamp door brackets as shown.  Mine look the same as the kit you posted, but they have screw heads not hex heads and only used 4 clips across the bottom.  The pic shows clips for the inner top screws, my grill appears to be missing part of the tab the clip slides onto and it was just screwed into the spacer itself.  I guess it will be fun putting mine back together too.  I guess an assembled pic is going to be better for this part (wish I had taken some now).

This diagram is very busy.  

I will see if I can get better count for you.  I believe I only saw where 6 clips would be used.

TXcharger70

Thank you so much that was very helpfull :cheers: