News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cost to re-do seats

Started by B5charger, May 12, 2011, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5charger

I've just got delivered my new seat covers from Legendary and went to a local shop to see how much to have my old ones recovered.  They're front and back bench.  The backs are pretty good and will only need to be recovered. but the front driver side will need foam and some repairs (reclines a bit, broken weld?).
I was told between $650-750.  Does this seem reasonable considering I'm supplying the covers?  What price should I be looking at up here in Canada?

BananaDan

I just had both front buckets and my rear bench recovered for my 70 Charger by a local upholstery guy.  I paid $550 for everything.  I gave him the new Legendary covers, Legendary bottom bucket foams and he had to do some foam work on the upper buckets himself, and all new foam on my rear bench.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

B5charger

Maybe the price I got isn't too far off considering there will be work needed to the frame of the front seat? :shruggy:

gtx6970

Quote from: B5charger on May 12, 2011, 04:55:24 PM
I've just got delivered my new seat covers from Legendary and went to a local shop to see how much to have my old ones recovered.  They're front and back bench.  The backs are pretty good and will only need to be recovered. but the front driver side will need foam and some repairs (reclines a bit, broken weld?).
I was told between $650-750.  Does this seem reasonable considering I'm supplying the covers?  What price should I be looking at up here in Canada?

Sounds about right to me.

mopar0166

elacruze

My labor bill for complete restoration of all seats front and rear, right down to stripping and repainting frames and rails and rebuilding with all new materials was $1600/20 hours. That time also includes Bill sewing in the two-tone strips. I'm thinking your price is high for just recovering.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

B5charger

the rears will probably just need recovering, the front driver's side is where there will be foam and repairs needed.

DJReynolds

Quote from: elacruze on May 13, 2011, 07:47:47 AM
My labor bill for complete restoration of all seats front and rear, right down to stripping and repainting frames and rails and rebuilding with all new materials was $1600/20 hours. That time also includes Bill sewing in the two-tone strips. I'm thinking your price is high for just recovering.

Before I retired and closed up shop I did a 68, and did the samething you had done. Except I soda blasted all the frames and had everything powder coated, made the seat cover and new foam for the rear seat, and rebuilt the foam and spring's in the front's for $1200.00. So for his location the price might be dead on.
DJ Reynolds
Auto Upholstery (retired)

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: B5charger on May 12, 2011, 04:55:24 PM
I've just got delivered my new seat covers from Legendary and went to a local shop to see how much to have my old ones recovered.  They're front and back bench.  The backs are pretty good and will only need to be recovered. but the front driver side will need foam and some repairs (reclines a bit, broken weld?).
I was told between $650-750.  Does this seem reasonable considering I'm supplying the covers?  What price should I be looking at up here in Canada?

Just got the quote on mine.  My wants are a bit different than yours.
I only brought in the two buckets with new Legendary covers.
Quoted: $275-300, price includes some additional foam, new burlap under the seats, and reinforcement for the seat springs.

Quoted: ~$150 more if I wanted them to completely sand-blast the frames and repaint.

Rear seat: bought some cleaning material from them to clean seats and a can of SEM for repaint and to soften the material.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

jaak

When I bought my '73 the current owner had taken the interior to get redone, but never went to pick it up. So I bought the car, then went to the upholstery shop and paid the bill for the interior work, here is what I got

-Both front bucket seats and rear seat, he made all the seat covers and installed, redid the foam, and the frames/tracks where cleaned and painted black (don't know if they where sandblasted or not, Im guessing not, but they are clean and shiny black).
-Buddy seat reupholstered (didn't use it, sold it on eBay)
-All upper door panels reupholstered
-All lower door panels, a pillars, headliner trim, seat backs and interior sail panels all redone in white (using SEM)
-One new can of the SEM paint he used so I would have some for future 'touch-ups'.

The bill was $800. The guy done great work, he lives a couple of hours away, but if I need upholstery work done in the future, I will not hesitate to drive up there, drop off my stuff and come back to get it when he's finished.

Jason

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: jaak on May 19, 2011, 04:37:11 PM

....he made all the seat covers and installed, redid the foam, and the frames/tracks where cleaned and painted black (don't know if they where sandblasted or not, Im guessing not, but they are clean and shiny black).
-Buddy seat reupholstered (didn't use it, sold it on eBay)
-All upper door panels reupholstered
-All lower door panels, a pillars, headliner trim, seat backs and interior sail panels all redone in white (using SEM)
-One new can of the SEM paint he used so I would have some for future 'touch-ups'.

The bill was $800. ....

:o

That.... is a great deal!!
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd