News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual "jingle" when clutch out and in neutral

Started by Long Island RT, March 26, 2011, 11:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Island RT

I have a Tremec 5 speed and notice a slight jingle coming from the trans when it's running in neutral with the clutch out.
I was very careful when following the directions for shimming the hydraulic clutch upon installation and it works flawlessly.

It may be normal, but IDK.

Any thoughts?
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Kern Dog

Maybe the oil level is low? Is this happenning only when warm or at any time? If when warm, maybe the trans needs the cushioning of a thicker lubricant?

1969chargerrtse

Throw out bearing.  Apply pressure lightly and see if it goes away?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Long Island RT

Yes - any pressure and it goes away.  The throw out bearing is the hydraulic unit that came with my kit.  It's all brand new - only 600 miles.
I'll see if I can peak in there and see if something looks off.

I used Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid - as directed in the assembly instructions.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

John_Kunkel

"Neutral Gear Rattle". A piston engine's power delivery is not seamless like an electric motor; a piston engine makes pulses of power very rapidly and the pulses can make the clearance between the gears in the trans cause a "rattle" with each pulse.

Some transmissions are more susceptible to it than others and the chassis can amplify the sound.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.