News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which carb for a stock 318?

Started by bluegrasscharger, March 22, 2011, 05:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegrasscharger

I am wanting to put a 4 barrel carb on my 1970 Dodge Charger.  Kinda new to carbs.  So I don't quite understand vacumm secondaries and other terms yet but I am wanting to learn.  I am wondering what CFM size and brand carb I should get.  I want something that is good for daily driving and simple to use.  I guess I am looking for just a good replacement for the 2 barrel that's on it.  Something I can slap on and go.  I already have an aluminum 4 barrel intake ready for the right carb.  Any suggestions appreciated!

doctor4766

600 Holley.
Cheap and should work straight outta the box really
Gotta love a '69

flyinlow

Something in the 600 cfm range. Either a vacuum secondary Holley or Edelbrock Thunder series should work with stock 318 /aftermaket intake/dual exhuast.

Other considerations; choke set up and throttle pressure linkage if you have an automatic trans.

Both Holley and Edelbrock need an inexpensive bolt on throttle addaptor for the right swing on the carb.

What type of choke? If you only drive in warm temps you can get by with out one and just pump the gas to prime the engine. I prefer a manual choke , but you have to buy and install a choke cable. Electric chokes require a 12V. power wire and sometimes cool of too quickly causing the choke to come back on when your engine dose not really need it. Most street carbs have a choice of manual or electric chokes.   

Aircleaner? a 14X3 will feed most 4bbl. fine. Bigger is fine too.

bluegrasscharger

Thanks for the info!  I have been researching carbs.  I think I have decided on the Edelbrock 1406 600cfm.  Vacumm secondaries and electric choke.  I think that should work well.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Kern Dog

Quote from: doctor4766 on March 22, 2011, 05:51:34 PM
600 Holley.
Cheap and should work straight outta the box really

I agree there. The standard #1850 Holley 600 with vacuum secondaries is a very good carb for moderate performance up to 360 cubic inches. I put one on my brother in laws car, a 72 Duster with a fairly stock 360. It runs smooth and strong  and starts easily. Manual choke.

B5charger

hey bluegrass, keep us informed on how it goes and what changes were needed (ie. linkages/electric choke wiring)  I'm gonna do the exact same thing to my 318 with the edelbrock performer intake 2176 and the edelbrock 600 electric choke carb 1406.  I'm very interested in how it goes.

bluegrasscharger

Challenger340

This is against the common thought expressed here,
but,
if you can find a good working Thermoquad ? They used to work just Dandy on 318's.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

flyinlow

[if you can find a good working Thermoquad ? They used to work just Dandy on 318's.
[/quote]

I thought of this too. Chevy used Q jets on 305 SB.
But both are out of production and hard to get tuning parts for. I bought a NOS thermoquad last year and run it on my 440 after tuning. Great street carb,when set up right. Not sure if it is the best carb for a novice