News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Panels

Started by vandie12, March 01, 2011, 05:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandie12

Need some input on door panels from Classic Auto Resource, any feed back will be appreciated.

bull

I bought a set from them and I experienced good and bad from the transaction. First, the bad. I believe the guy makes them as ordered so the process can be a little slow. That's not that big of an issue on something like this but if you're in a hurry you might get annoyed. When I got them three of my door panels looked great but the passenger side front had a pucker in the vinyl at the top/front of the map pocket between the hole for the handle and the one for the window crank (see pic).

This brings us to the good, followed by a little more bad. I contacted the guy and he made me up another door panel to replace the one with the pucker - at no charge. That part of Classic Auto Resource is great. He won't bat an eye when you say you are not satisfied and he'll try to make it right. So again, I had to wait for him to build a replacement and finally send it. After about 10 days I followed up on the order and although he didn't admit it he sounded as if he had forgotten about it and I had to resend my information. So finally the door panel arrives and although there is no pucker problem some of the stitching looked as if he was trying to run down a bug crawling across the vinyl. That may be an exaggeration but some of the lines were anything but straight. Anyway, I decided to let it go at that point and make one of those two panels work.

Would I buy from him again? Yes, I would. You can't beat the price and when he's on his game the stuff looks great. I have no doubt he would keep sending you panels until you were completely happy but I just don't want to gripe enough to test his limits. I also like the look of the panels in that they have some depth and padding to them with real stitching rather than just being flat, textured vinyl stuck to flimsy pressboard like the OE repro stuff.

rp23g7

Quote from: bull on March 06, 2011, 02:59:43 AM
I bought a set from them and I experienced good and bad from the transaction. First, the bad. I believe the guy makes them as ordered so the process can be a little slow. That's not that big of an issue on something like this but if you're in a hurry you might get annoyed. When I got them three of my door panels looked great but the passenger side front had a pucker in the vinyl at the top/front of the map pocket between the hole for the handle and the one for the window crank (see pic).

This brings us to the good, followed by a little more bad. I contacted the guy and he made me up another door panel to replace the one with the pucker - at no charge. That part of Classic Auto Resource is great. He won't bat an eye when you say you are not satisfied and he'll try to make it right. So again, I had to wait for him to build a replacement and finally send it. After about 10 days I followed up on the order and although he didn't admit it he sounded as if he had forgotten about it and I had to resend my information. So finally the door panel arrives and although there is no pucker problem some of the stitching looked as if he was trying to run down a bug crawling across the vinyl. That may be an exaggeration but some of the lines were anything but straight. Anyway, I decided to let it go at that point and make one of those two panels work.

Would I buy from him again? Yes, I would. You can't beat the price and when he's on his game the stuff looks great. I have no doubt he would keep sending you panels until you were completely happy but I just don't want to gripe enough to test his limits. I also like the look of the panels in that they have some depth and padding to them with real stitching rather than just being flat, textured vinyl stuck to flimsy pressboard like the OE repro stuff.

I am looking for interior panels too, whats the website?  I googled Classic Auto Resource but it didnt find any site for interior stuff

jaak

He sells on eBay. He makes seat covers for chargers too. I haven't heard any reviews on his seat covers, though.

Jason

bull

BananaDan

Looks like they don't come with the metal/chrome trim pieces for the 70 non-SE panels.  Legendary's panels come with the trim.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bull

Quote from: BananaDan on March 09, 2011, 03:18:57 PM
Looks like they don't come with the metal/chrome trim pieces for the 70 non-SE panels.  Legendary's panels come with the trim.

I don't think any of this guy's door panels come with the "hardware" so to speak and that is not unusual for reproduction panels. Most of that stuff can be purchased elsewhere anyway. Also, most reproduction 68 door panels don't come with the square chrome pocket buttons, not just this guy's, and many repros don't even come with map pockets.

BananaDan

I have a set of either 68 or 69 panels that have the buttons still on them in great shape.  I haven't posted them for sale yet.

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

jaak

Quote from: BananaDan on March 09, 2011, 06:28:30 PM
I have a set of either 68 or 69 panels that have the buttons still on them in great shape.  I haven't posted them for sale yet.

Dan

How much you asking for them?

Jason

BananaDan

Not sure yet, I'll post them in a day or two.  I just looked back at the photos since I haven't finished going through all of my parts for sale yet.  The panels aren't in great shape, the buttons are.  However only one of the two panels has the buttons and I have the fronts only, I don't have the rears.  They should be resurrect-able with a hair dryer to soften the vinyl and re-tack them to the backs, and some cleaning of surface dirt/grime from age for a driver.  They definitely aren't show winners.  There are no cuts or tears on them other than a few spots by the edges where they should be hidden when re-tacking them to the backs.

Here's the pic.

Dan

bull

No offense but mine were in better shape than those and I threw them away.

vandie12

Thanks for the input, I see on ebay he has 2 differnt styles one with more padding or thicker than the other. Which style did you get?

bull

Quote from: vandie12 on March 09, 2011, 09:53:14 PM
Thanks for the input, I see on ebay he has 2 differnt styles one with more padding or thicker than the other. Which style did you get?

He only has the padded style as far as I know. Did he say that he makes two different styles?

yeahitsgotahemi!

I bought a set from him as well. For the price, I liked them, the real stitching and the puff is a plus in my opinion. If your not looking for a faithful original, they are a good alternative. There are a few issues here and there, but otherwise I'm satisfied. Still have yet to put them on the car unfortunately though.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Patronus

I was looking at these too,  :popcrn:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

BananaDan

Quote from: bull on March 09, 2011, 09:09:07 PM
No offense but mine were in better shape than those and I threw them away.

No offense taken, one of the reasons I haven't listed them.  :shruggy:

Dan

ChargerST

Quote from: bull on March 09, 2011, 04:56:22 PM
Looks like they don't come with the metal/chrome trim pieces for the 70 non-SE panels.  Legendary's panels come with the trim.

I don't think any of this guy's door panels come with the "hardware" so to speak and that is not unusual for reproduction panels. Most of that stuff can be purchased elsewhere anyway. Also, most reproduction 68 door panels don't come with the square chrome pocket buttons, not just this guy's, and many repros don't even come with map pockets.

Where can I get the "hardware" (the chrome trim)? I would like to buy these padded panels but my chrome trim is not in the best shape so I wouldn't reuse ist.

ac_knight

Quote from: ChargerST on March 10, 2011, 03:42:59 AM

Where can I get the "hardware" (the chrome trim)? I would like to buy these padded panels but my chrome trim is not in the best shape so I wouldn't reuse ist.

Yeah, good question where can you buy the trim?

jaak

Quote from: bull on March 09, 2011, 10:22:01 PM
Quote from: vandie12 on March 09, 2011, 09:53:14 PM

He only has the padded style as far as I know. Did he say that he makes two different styles?

He might be referring to another seller, his name is Chris McMahon, he makes/sells the thinner type and makes seat covers also. I bought some seat covers from him, nice craftsmanship.

http://myworld.ebay.com/mcmahonmopars&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID

Jason

bull

Quote from: ac_knight on March 10, 2011, 07:37:06 AM
Quote from: ChargerST on March 10, 2011, 03:42:59 AM

Yeah, good question where can you buy the trim?

My bad. I was thinking 68-69 when I wrote that.