News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K&N filters

Started by Silver R/T, February 21, 2011, 07:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Anyone running K&N filter here, what is your experience with it? I've read some negative feedback on other forums as dirt passes through it and mixed with oil gets stuck on inside of engine.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

I've been using one for at least the last ten years on this engine and it still has lots of compression and doesn't blow blue smoke so it must filter something.  Of course, I am pretty faithful about cleaning and re-oiling the filter element.  I imagine there are some out there who just plop it on like a paper one and forget about it.

Silver R/T

Do you oil inside and outside of it? Instructions I got with cleaning/oil kit say just to do dirty side but online instructions say to oil both sides...

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Hissing Cobra

I've got one that I used from time to time but I actually like using the paper filters better. I feel that they trap more dirt. As far as performance goes, I actually go faster with a paper filter. I guess that flies in the face of what they claim, eh?
1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

Ghoste

I couldn't tell you if they make any difference in et or not but I can say I've only bought one air filter for my car in the last decade.

Back N Black

Quote from: Ghoste on February 21, 2011, 08:00:55 PM
I couldn't tell you if they make any difference in et or not but I can say I've only bought one air filter for my car in the last decade.

When i had my engine on the Dyno, it gained 8 hp with a K&N Filter as oppose to no air cleaner on the engine.  :Twocents:

bobs66440

I (and pretty much every other racer in the world) have used them racing on dirt tracks and they are excellent at keeping out dirt and dust from that (plus I ran a pre-filter) so I think that using one on a street car is something easily handled by it. I use them on mine. Run a foam pre-filter if you want the ultimate in filtering...and you won't have to clean the K&N filter as much. I periodically wash them with soap and water and oil them from the outside, but I suppose doing the inside wouldn't hurt anything.

Ghoste

I've always just oiled the outside as well.

greenpigs

I run them in all my daily drivers for the past 10 years, but never checked on HP gain. When I put one in my truck it felt a little quicker merging into highway traffic but otherwise couldn't tell & that includes MPG improvment. I am looking for a non oil air filter for the Jeep now as I have heard a few negative things about the oil messing with sensors. That could be from people putting too much on after cleaning so you got to check more than a few sources.
  The Charger doesn't have one yet as I am looking for one like the cool blue or some other non oil filter.

I also just oil the outside & I don't go crazy with it either.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bobs66440

Quote from: greenpigs on February 22, 2011, 09:38:48 PM
  I am looking for a non oil air filter for the Jeep now as I have heard a few negative things about the oil messing with sensors.
I think if there's actually oil coming from the filter then they are over oiling it...by a LOT!  :o

Ghoste

Yeah, those things are pretty popular with Club Rice so I would think that if it were a common problem that crowd would be quick to drop the use of them.

elacruze

Here's a link to K&N's fact site.
http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm

I have used K&N filters since 1979 in everything I own; Flattrack and roadrace motorcycles, street bikes, all my cars including my Charger, Over-the-road trucks, construction equipment. They are outstanding.

I spent a lot of time in the past researching air filters. The only environment in which K&N does not excel over paper is when dust particles are super-fine, such is in the desert (Iraq, Afghanistan, and parts of the desert Southwest U.S.) So if you're planning to spend a lot of time there with an engine you expect 50,000+ miles out of, you should be running a high-quality dual-element paper filter such as Donaldson.

Paper filters can pass as much air as a K&N, they just have to be four times larger.
There is no argument that K&N passes larger particles than *GOOD* paper. The question is, does your environment ever include particles that small? I live in South Florida where there is nearly no dust in the air. I could run with no air cleaner at all and if not for wet roads I'd never worry about it.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

greenpigs

Quote from: bobs66440 on February 23, 2011, 08:05:04 AM
  I am looking for a non oil air filter for the Jeep now as I have heard a few negative things about the oil messing with sensors.
I think if there's actually oil coming from the filter then they are over oiling it...by a LOT!  :o

QuoteThat could be from people putting too much on after cleaning so you got to check more than a few sources.

Thats what I said in my original post.

I was 7 YO in 1979. :D
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bobs66440

Quote from: greenpigs on February 23, 2011, 03:36:06 PM

QuoteThat could be from people putting too much on after cleaning so you got to check more than a few sources.

Thats what I said in my original post.

You're correct...sorry  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

I run a k&n with the top filter element as well. No problems on my end. Never been on a dyno either so I can't lay claim one way or the other. My engine has been breathing through the same filter since late 2000

chargergirl

Have K&N cold air box on both tow vehicles and get GREAT pickup and a bit better mileage. Never had an issue and we are in Panhandle of FL. Lots of pollen, fine white sand.
Trust your Woobie!

Silver R/T

Or putting filter on there too soon. You want it to sit for a day so all the oil absorbs into the gauze

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

greenpigs

I just got my replacement K&N filter today as its such a tiny filter I figured it needs to be as free flowing as possible.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free