News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger ignition switch & lock cylinder replacement

Started by ErikH, June 18, 2014, 10:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikH

Gentlemen,

I am sorting through some electrical issues and I want to replace the ignition switch and lock cylinder.  I have a service manual but I did not find a procedure for ignition switch removal & replacement nor how to R&R the lock cylinder.  Did I miss it?  If not, can anyone post how to properly insert the lock cylinder into the ignition switch? 

Thx!

Erik
68 Charger R/T, 440/727
Blue with blue interior, black vinyl top, RT stripe

70 sublime

It has been a while but if I am thinking about the right lock I think there is a small hole on the face of the barrel you can see near the slot the key goes in
You have to use a small stiff piece of wire and push through that hole to release the barrel
I think you have to have the key in first and turn it to the right place to find the release to get the barrel to pop out
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ErikH

70 sublime,

Thanks for the post.  I wasn't very clear in my original post but my problem is even easier.  I have a new ignition switch and a new lock cylinder with key on my desk.  I just need to insert the new lock cylinder into the new switch.  No need to remove original lock cylinder from the old ignition switch, that will go in the old parts bin.  If there is a procedure for how to get the new lock cylinder into the new switch...that is what I really need.

Thanks again,

Erik
68 Charger R/T, 440/727

ErikH

Wave off guys, I figured it out.  I just moved the switch a bit and got the lock cylinder in.
68 Charger R/T, 440/727

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green