News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what primer for "panel by panel" repairs

Started by c00nhunterjoe, February 21, 2011, 01:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

to keep a long story short, my car lives outside under a decent car cover. I want to do some body work this spring and paint it. Since it lives outdoors and I will be doing the repairs a panel at a time what type of primer should I use to keep the water out? I plan on using the base clear kit from summit for paint. I realize its not top quality but I'm not making a show car this year, just want to stop the rust and have the car presentable for a few years of enjoyment while I save money to replace panels 

AdamMopar

An epoxy primer is the only thing I would recommend.

Adam

jaak

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

c00nhunterjoe

Do you have to prime over the epoxy primer or can you paint right over it?

jaak

I guess technically you can paint over epoxy (heck most epoxies can be reduced to be used as a sealer before paint)....but epoxy is NOT a filler primer and does not block well at all. I don't see how you can prime/block with an epoxy. I would epoxy and when your ready to prep for paint, scuff it up then prime/block with a urethane primer (as many times as needed).

Jason

bill440rt

Quote from: jaak on February 21, 2011, 09:55:08 PM
I guess technically you can paint over epoxy (heck most epoxies can be reduced to be used as a sealer before paint)....but epoxy is NOT a filler primer and does not block well at all. I don't see how you can prime/block with an epoxy. I would epoxy and when your ready to prep for paint, scuff it up then prime/block with a urethane primer (as many times as needed).

Jason

:iagree:

Epoxy primer will provide the best protection over bare metal. Strip the panels to bare metal, give them 2 meduim coats of epoxy primer. I like PPG's DP line. When you're ready to do bodywork, you can scuff the epoxy with 80-grit on a DA & do your work right over the primer. Apply your hi-build polyester primers from there.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

c00nhunterjoe

Ok coool. My plan was to strip a panel, do the work, then prime(using epoxy primer now). That way by the time I get the last panel finished the first hasn't started rusting already!

Canadian1968

Epoxy is the way to go. As mentioned before make sure you get good coverage over the entire panel.

Only thing I disagree with is , not to scuff with 80, way to coarse. I would say 180 and 3 good coats of high build for your first blockng. Then repeat high build if needed

c00nhunterjoe

Well wish me luck. I'm going to try and get the front fenders off the car tomarrow