News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PRW Rocker Arms

Started by my73charger, February 02, 2011, 06:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on February 02, 2011, 06:08:00 PM
Does anyone know anything about these aluminum roller rockers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Big-Block-Mopar-Shaft-Mount-Aluminum-Rocker-Arms-1-7-r-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c2b77bcfQQitemZ110640987087QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I was also looking at these:

http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/rockerarmandgirdle/ssmountrocker.asp

Any opinions? Ron?

No experience with the PRW rockers so i can't comment good or bad. Definately stay away from CAT....those are known to weld themselves to the rocker shaft.  :eek2:

What's the application ? Soli or hyd cam ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

my73charger

Hi Ron,

The Comp XS282S solid cam.  I am goinf to eventually upgrade from my current Comp 501 lift cam.  I want to start buying my parts as I can afford it.

Thanks!

Tim

elacruze

Our friendly NAPA engine machinist uses PRW on nearly everything (read mostly GM products) and has never had one come back broken. He builds cars, trucks, boats-you name it, he's built one. PRW on all of them, unless the owner specifies something particular.  :shruggy: Flat tappet, roller cam, small block or big block. What can I say except ... none broke?

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

my73charger

Thanks.  Sounds like a decent product at a really decent price.

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on February 03, 2011, 09:41:33 AM
Hi Ron,

The Comp XS282S solid cam.  I am goinf to eventually upgrade from my current Comp 501 lift cam.  I want to start buying my parts as I can afford it.

Thanks!

Tim

That's a nice cam Tim....i specced the XS282S for Vegas Mikes build and it made close to 530hp with unported E-heads  :2thumbs:

I think Ralley Mike uses those PRW rockers in his road race car....maybe send him a pm to confirm ?

As for the ratio ; i would stick with a 1.5 so you can use your stock e-head springs. That is allready a quick-ramp lobe design so increasing the rocker ratio would mean more valvespring (new set) to keep the valvetrain stable at higher rpm.  :yesnod:

Honestly, a set of ductile iron 1.5's would be fine for that type of build and they are bulletproof !  :2thumbs:

How's the weather out there ? I'm off to shovel our latest storm remnants  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

elacruze

Quote from: my73charger on February 03, 2011, 09:50:13 AM

That's exactly why our NAPA guy uses them.
Personally, I think more 'broken' (as opposed to galled or worn out) rocker arms are due to pushrod length being too short, giving the adjuster head more leverage against the rocker arm body instead of pushing more parallel to the adjuster bore.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

my73charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 03, 2011, 09:52:59 AM
Hi Ron,

The Comp XS282S solid cam.  I am goinf to eventually upgrade from my current Comp 501 lift cam.  I want to start buying my parts as I can afford it.

Thanks!

Tim

That's a nice cam Tim....i specced the XS282S for Vegas Mikes build and it made close to 530hp with unported E-heads  :2thumbs:

I think Ralley Mike uses those PRW rockers in his road race car....maybe send him a pm to confirm ?

As for the ratio ; i would stick with a 1.5 so you can use your stock e-head springs. That is allready a quick-ramp lobe design so increasing the rocker ratio would mean more valvespring (new set) to keep the valvetrain stable at higher rpm.  :yesnod:

Honestly, a set of ductile iron 1.5's would be fine for that type of build and they are bulletproof !  :2thumbs:

How's the weather out there ? I'm off to shovel our latest storm remnants  :lol:

Ron

Thanks for the info Ron.  I will PM Mike..  The weather is nice here today, for a change.  Suppose to hit 30 degrees in northern Minnesota - heat wave!!

Tim

my73charger

Quote from: elacruze on February 03, 2011, 09:57:58 AM
Quote from: my73charger on February 03, 2011, 09:50:13 AM

That's exactly why our NAPA guy uses them.
Personally, I think more 'broken' (as opposed to galled or worn out) rocker arms are due to pushrod length being too short, giving the adjuster head more leverage against the rocker arm body instead of pushing more parallel to the adjuster bore.

I think these are a good choice then.  Thanks!

Tim

Nacho-RT74

I got the PRW iron adjustable rockers set ( like the pictured on CAT ) to stock ball-ball rods from them. Not mounted yet, but sure they look nice

I hope they are not CAT and just renamed LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

my73charger

Honestly, a set of ductile iron 1.5's would be fine for that type of build and they are bulletproof !  :2thumbs:

Ron

Hi Ron,

What would be your suggestions for ductile iron rockers?  Are you talking just my stock rockers will work fine?  I like the sounds of bullet proof, but I have a question, I thought ductile iron were cast?

Also, what do you think of this Lunati Voodoo cam: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60304LK/

Looks like maybe a little more low end?

Tim

RallyeMike

I did use these on the car for awhile. 1.6 ratio with a hydraulic Comp Cam XE284H-10. I put about 3000 miles on them, plus about 500 miles at 4000-5500 rpm. Unfortunately, one of the bolts included in the kit had an inclusion in the metal and it broke (1 mile from the finish line cruising at 135mph and dead on time for a good finish  :icon_smile_angry: ). The rockers still looked new, but they are now in a box waiting to be installed on another project.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on February 26, 2011, 09:53:21 PM

Ron

Hi Ron,

What would be your suggestions for ductile iron rockers?  Are you talking just my stock rockers will work fine?  I like the sounds of bullet proof, but I have a question, I thought ductile iron were cast?

Also, what do you think of this Lunati Voodoo cam: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60304LK/

Looks like maybe a little more low end?

Tim

Hi Tim, the ductile iron rockers are very tough and work great for non roller cam spring pressures with less than .600 valve lift. You won't break them  ;)

That VooDoo cam is smaller than your current cam in terms of duration but it has more agressive ramps so it would idle better and net more lift at the valve.  :yesnod:

It would make better bottom end power than the 501 but so would the XS282S and you could wind the  solid up a little higher.  :2thumbs:

Ron

my73charger

Thanks Ron.  Sounds like that Comp solid is the way to go.  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on February 28, 2011, 08:09:05 PM
Thanks Ron.  Sounds like that Comp solid is the way to go.  :2thumbs:

Yes it is... for many reasons !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron