News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did I miss a good deal? Not sure what to think.

Started by NGC414, February 17, 2011, 09:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

I always liked the 63 Lincolns with the suicide doors. I stumbled across a bank auction about two hours from me, which had internet bidding. Unfortunatly I found it about 3 hours before it was going to sell. In the end I decided not to risk it sight unseen without time to reasearch it.

The car was a black 1963 Lincoln continental very nice, serial #3Y82N425615 they claimed only 38k miles. In the ad it says possible JFK car, which I fugured was BS. For the heck of it I google the serial number and find a car with the same number sold at Barret Jackson in 97 which was JFKs personal car. Here is the link:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=20&ln=968&pop=0&it=1

Only thing is in the BJ page it says "CONV" which I assume means convertable? Is it possible for 2 cars to have the same serial #?
I think JFK had 3 personal lincolns, I think one was a hard top. I cant find anything else to confirm or disprove any ties.
Either way the car sold for $7600 which seemed like a deal even if it was never a JFK car. Here is a link to the old ad for it:
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/lincoln/continental/1194633.html

68X426

It might have been a very good deal for $7600. :yesnod:

But the bullshit could not be wider or deeper than claiming it was JFK's personal car. What an utter insult to everyone's intelligence to say such a thing. The price tells you that no one believed it, and the car sold on its own merits, not on bullshit.

Was the car signed by JFK? Didn't think so. At least Allison signed that bullshit hoax Daytona. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

jeryst

No matter how many cars JFK had, they all would have had different serial numbers. Consecutive maybe, but identical, never.

bakerhillpins

Suicide doors...  :coolgleamA:

I wonder if the "CONV" stands for Conversion. Any car the Prez drives in would have probably had some factory/dealer modification work done. Maybe like Police cars get the "police" package.   :shruggy:

Seems like a good deal if its a decent running example.  :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

NGC414

I guess the main thing that stumps me would be; why does this car have the same serial number as the JFK car that sold at barret jackson in 1997? Doesnt every car have a unique serial number?

68X426

Quote from: NGC414 on February 18, 2011, 05:04:08 PM
I guess the main thing that stumps me would be; why does this car have the same serial number as the JFK car that sold at barret jackson in 1997? Doesnt every car have a unique serial number?

Yes every car has a unique number. Otherwise it's fraud.

Was the 1997 car actually sold? Nothing on that web page said sold, just a listing. Even if sold, the story about it remains bullshit. Bullshit because there is no documentation. :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

NGC414

Well I dont feel bad about missing out on it now, must be BS like I thought.

Im still stumped why a car with the same serial number popped up on an old Barret Jackson Auction listed as a JFK car in detail. I thought Barret jackson researched all the cars before marketing them? I actually watched a show about Barret Jackson a couple years ago where they talked about how they double check all the info on each car before selling it.

I searched and cannot find any more info if it sold or not in 97. i imagine if there was paper work it may have been withheld anyway since the car was repossesed and not sold by the owner. Possibly?