News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question Regarding Car Trailer Size

Started by wingcar, May 13, 2012, 03:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcar

I am looking at purchasing an enclosed car hauler and would like to know what size would be ideal for hauling a wingcar without going into a huge trailer.  Not looking at hauling alot of extra parts...just the car.  Looking at what would be the smallest I could go for ease of handling/storage.  Thanks.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

hotrod98

They make lighter trailers that are intended for showcar hauling only. They don't have insulation or interior walls. No cabinets, expensive flooring or 120 volt systems. Standard lengths are usually 24 foot which is plenty for a wingcar. The best upgrade is an exit door on the left side over the fenders so that you can open the car door and climb out. The perfect trailer is a 24 foot with 5000 lb axles and the left side door exit. You can get by with a 36" right side door. You will also need the rear door ramp extenders so that you don't drag pulling in or out. You could probably get by with 3500 lb axles but you're going to be at your towing limit when you factor in the weight of the car and the trailer. The v nose trailers help to get better fuel mileage but I'm not sure if a 24' v nose is long enough for a wingcar.
I use my 28 foot racecar trailer but it's way overkill and is much heavier than a showcar trailer. I've seriously thought about buying another trailer just to haul my cars to shows, etc..
I've seen the plain trailers with the left side exit for around 6K. For reference, my 28' racecar trailer was 20K. Big difference.

Here's a pic of my race trailer.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Aero426

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 13, 2012, 04:05:41 PM
The perfect trailer is a 24 foot with 5000 lb axles and the left side door exit. You can get by with a 36" right side door. You will also need the rear door ramp extenders so that you don't drag pulling in or out. You could probably get by with 3500 lb axles but you're going to be at your towing limit when you factor in the weight of the car and the trailer.

Exactly what he said. 

RTDaddy

My weapon of choice is a 24' trailer with a "vee" nose, and the aforementioned left side "escape door."  Something I added were "ramp overs."  These are a strip of 12" wide diamond aluminum on upright 2 x 4's to gain height for the car door over the escape door, but also make tying down the car MUCH easier.  And come in handy for those "on the road" repairs.  Good luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

wingcar

Wow, thanks to all for the quick response.  I was wondering if a 24 footer would work...now I know.  Thinking about the V-nose, but since it will be behind a motorhome that's not a big issue.  It is so temping to buy more trailer than I really need when I see some of the used trailers out there with all the extras.....But, I know a guy that did just that and it became a matter of the trailer "driving" his tow vehicle.....not a good thing.....
Thanks again.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

pettybird

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: pettybird on May 13, 2012, 10:08:41 PM
just...drive...it...

If you do not choice this, might consider these thoughts.  I had previously a 28' enclosed bumper pull traded it off within a yr of buying it new, not friendly in confined areas, to much tongue wt even with load trans & 1ton & electric brakes (IMO), parking lots or most places in new england, mountains, etc not much enjoying drives.  After that bought a goose neck 28' w/ a drives side door access(another featherlite).  The extra space..... past "the have to" is not that much can be use for storage and gives you the flexibility to moving the car for or aft for improved hauling of load.  BIGGEST ADVISE I COULD SHARE IS GET A DOOR AT THE DRIVERS DOOR SO YOU CAN GET OUT WITH IMPROVED EASE & the importance of the car I personally would not own anything past 20' that is it not be a gooseneck. :Twocents:

Convenient for night storage I suppose, I purged the enclosed trailer and thoughts towards the ease of open trailer or driving the car depending on the event/wkend plans.  :Twocents:

bill440rt

x3  :yesnod:

I have a 24ft Wells Cargo, the Charger fits fine and there would be enough room for a wing car. Might be a little tight up front, but it would fit.
The driver's side exit door is a must. I laid out a floor plan with the car in the garage, measured out the dimensions of the trailer around the Charger & then measured where the door should be. I was able to order the trailer with the door where I wanted it.

Wells also has an optional nose cone:
http://store.wellscargo.com/%2FNose-Cone-for-6W-Wells-Cargo-P2081.aspx

I tow with a pickup, and the nose cone really helps with aerodynamics. A few of my friends that have towed with my trailer commented to me on how nicely balanced it was. Not sure if the cone would be a benefit towing behind an RV, but behind a pickup it works great.

A pic of my setup is in this thread on pg.2.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,91358.25.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Hemi Runner

68 Bullitt Charger

Just had mine delivered, custom built! This is what I did for my 68 Charger, 65 Satellite and 58 Fury.. All large Car's. I called Hurricane Trailer's in Georgia.. The Best although the owner a jerk*ff. The trailer is 24', V Nose for a total of 26' inside. 48" side door, huge escape door (a must), 10,400GVW, HD option Touring Package, 4 wheel electric brake's, 1 pc roof(no leak's) and completely Polished Alluminum on front, rear and 24" along side's at bottom. This Trailer is the nicest one built I have owned. I paid $4,700. and received a 5 year warranty!!  Give this Guy a call. Once you get past his ego, his trailer's are truly awesome. Good Luck, Joe C NY
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!