News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Uni-Lug: Are there any pitfalls with Uni-Lug wheels?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, January 21, 2011, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

You see them often... Uni-Lug wheels for the Dodge Charger, specifically the Vector Wheels.

Are there any pitfalls to using them?  :popcrn:

Where to source lugnuts?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

A383Wing

I got uni-lug Cragar SS on the Daytona...to me they are a pain to put back on.

but I guess that's just me

daveco

I had uni-lug wheels on my Charger for a while (ET Kelstars). I did not like them although (besides finding the correct lug nuts) I never had any problems other than (the already mentioned) slightly more difficult installation.
R/Tree

68coronetGLwannabe

I have the Uni-lug Vectors and No major problems. I just check the Lug nuts every now and then to make sure they are tight. As far as getting lug nuts I was able to find them in 3 local parts stores.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

jaak

Quote from: A383Wing on January 21, 2011, 10:24:18 PM

I agree....they are sorta a pain in the ass, the guy that owned the Rallye before me just bought those Cragers about a month before I bought the car (from Jegs) brand new....I mean if your gonna buy a new set anyways, why not get them in the correct 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern?

Jason

Mike DC

Something occurs to me . . . with cast aluminum engine blocks you can weld them up when they get damaged.  There won't be bad after-effects on the block's metallurgy. 

I wonder, could you do the same thing to "fix" unilug wheels?  Weld up the lugs & redrill them to a normal lug pattern? 

elacruze

I have both ET and Mickey Thompson aluminum unilug wheels, and never had a problem. As stated, it's critical that you have the correct lugs and washers.

HELL no I would not weld and redrill, unless you know a metallurgist who can tell you what to weld with, under what conditions, and how to properly anneal/heat treat the wheel afterwards, as well as a certified welder experienced in heavy aluminum.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Mike DC

QuoteHELL no I would not weld and redrill, unless you know a metallurgist who can tell you what to weld with, under what conditions, and how to properly anneal/heat treat the wheel afterwards, as well as a certified welder experienced in heavy aluminum.

I won't argue with that.  I was assuming a welding job by someone who knows what they're doing with cast aluminum.  Wheel lugs aren't the place for backyard welding experiments. 

HPP

With aluminum, the heat effected zone would be quite large. This could cause warping, discoloration, and/or cause the chrome to peel and polish to dull.

71charger_fan

I had unilug Keystone Klassics back in the '70s. Never had a problem performance wise. However, I hated dealing with them so much that I refuse to ever own them again.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: HPP on January 22, 2011, 10:08:16 AM
With aluminum, the heat effected zone would be quite large. This could cause warping, discoloration, and/or cause the chrome to peel and polish to dull.
Who Chrome's aluminum ??

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on January 21, 2011, 11:45:10 PM
I have the Uni-lug Vectors and No major problems. I just check the Lug nuts every now and then to make sure they are tight. As far as getting lug nuts I was able to find them in 3 local parts stores.
I agree,  and It ain't that hard to get the lug nuts on.   If,  it's that hard to put a rim on, your in the wrong hobby. :Twocents:

elacruze

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 22, 2011, 10:22:41 AM
Who Chrome's aluminum ??

Hialeah Plating Shop 
4335 East 10th Avenue, Hialeah, FL 33013-2513
(305) 557-4814

We used them for years to custom plate Harley-Davidson aluminum rims. I wouldn't say they're Smithsonian quality, but we never had any problem with peeling, flaking, or pitting. Of course, we were sending in brand-new high quality wheels, too. I used to see lots of very expensive custom car wheels in there too.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

charger2fast4u

i know what you mean you gotta fight with them alil to get all the lugs started previous owner bought the same wheels and put them on the challenger before i bought it

bobs66440

Quote from: charger2fast4u on January 26, 2011, 08:19:39 PM

i know what you mean you gotta fight with them alil to get all the lugs started previous owner bought the same wheels and put them on the challenger before i bought it
I agree. My Charger has them and they are the biggest friggin' p.i.t.a. to put on. I would never get a set on purpose...

The only wheels that were worse were the ones on a BMW I had...there were bolts instead of studs...brilliant idea... :slap:
I ended up making a long guide rod (inspired by a tool in a BMW catalog) that screwed into one of the lug holes to help hold the wheel on so I could get the bolts started.  :rotz:

71charger_fan

Much as I hate those German lug bolts, I'd still take them over unilugs.

A383Wing

Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 27, 2011, 08:16:28 PM

yea...who's bright idea was it to use bolts when installing VW wheels....real pain to get everything lined up especially when the rotors turn on the hub as well....

to me, it's a toss up between VW lugs and Uni-lugs...still a pain

suntech

I dont see any problem in welding. I am not a very experianced aluminum welder, but i have welded up combustion chambers, ports, etc on race engines without problems. But if you are worried about welding, why not just drill/ mill out to a nice clean round hole, in correct bolt circle, make flanged aluminum bushings in a lathe, polish them if needed, press them in, and call it the day! :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: A383Wing on January 27, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 27, 2011, 08:16:28 PM

yea...who's bright idea was it to use bolts when installing VW wheels....real pain to get everything lined up especially when the rotors turn on the hub as well....

to me, it's a toss up between VW lugs and Uni-lugs...still a pain

Man I can tell most of you are not from the country..Even John Deere Tractors have lug bolts...(not lug nuts).  :Twocents: