News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who built Sam McQuaggs 66 Charger stocker?

Started by Ghoste, September 06, 2012, 07:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Would that have been a Nichels car or did Sam do it himself?

Aero426

If you are asking about the red and white #98, at that point, he was a Nichels factory driver.  

Ghoste

No idea,  I have a photo on the garage wall of his car under construction and it's a body in white that just came into the shop but I never had the further details on it and so wondered as I went by it earlier this morning.  Did McQuagg run more than one Charger? 

Aero426

After he was let go from the Nichels ride at the end of 1966, he drove a Mercury for Bud Moore at the start of 1967.   Mid season he took over the Charger for Cotton Owens for a while and later a backup '67 Charger for K & K.    He had a spectacular crash in the Owens car at Darlington that you will find pics of on the net or in old magazines.

The car you saw in the photo is certainly one of the #98 cars he drove for Ray.   There may have been a couple different ones.

Ghoste

I think I have video footage of that Darlington crash somewhere in the collection.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 06, 2012, 09:53:12 AM
I think I have video footage of that Darlington crash somewhere in the collection.

Yes, it's very similar to Petty's crash in '70, just a little farther down track.   

Ghoste

So unless I find a date for that photo I can't say for certain that its a Nichels car?  Not that it matters, I just wondered is all.  Come to think of it there is a Plymouth in the background of that pic but it doesn't look to be a body in white IIRC, I think it was a full dressed car.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 06, 2012, 10:19:28 AM
So unless I find a date for that photo I can't say for certain that its a Nichels car?  Not that it matters, I just wondered is all.  Come to think of it there is a Plymouth in the background of that pic but it doesn't look to be a body in white IIRC, I think it was a full dressed car.

The car you saw in the shop photo is almost certainly one of the #98 cars he drove for Ray.   There may have been a couple different ones used during the season.