News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sb engine issue

Started by dodgey68, December 27, 2010, 02:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgey68

hello dc.com,
i have an issue with my 318, i have had it going and running really well, no smoke,rattles, or noises, and thats good as its the only thing i havnt rebuilt on this car,  i dont really wanna spend alot of  money on this engine as i would like to buy and rebuild a bigblock for it, now it was running well, back into the shed and turned it off, next night  jacked it up removed the front calipers, altered them, let the car down  tried to start it up and thats when all the problems started, it coughed spluttered, and missed, i found  the  electronic ignition had a busted rotor buttom ,,but didnt noticed this till i removed it,  so (didnt have spare rotorbutton) i changed that back to points system (standered dizzy and coil) thought that was the issue, it ran better,but still had the same problem,even hot wired the coil to by pass any issues?? ran same,  changed the coil ran the same, timmed it again just to check and wile doing this it ran nice again but for only a minute, i played around trying to find the problem, fitted the electronic backin ( for the stronger spark) and ended up with no spark at all but power to coil, so more stuffing  around trying to find this gremlin,  fittted the standerd dizzy/coil back in had it running well last night , and thought the electronic one must have been a dud. so i started it up this morning with out touching anything and back to running shit again , has any one  got any ideas, what else i should check/change, fitted new voltage regulator ,and alternator is puttin out 14.5v, tried running it without alt connected just to check if that was the issue, same :scratchchin: :RantExplode:
checked earths
checked wiring
no vacuum leaks, im stumped :brickwall:
any ideas
thank you
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,65535.0.html
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

djcarguy

has car been setting long???    old gas?  old carb?? old wire harnes?? clean and ably deox electric lube to all connection where harnes meets up at fire wall?     good luck

elacruze

Check the spark plugs and check the plug wires for signs of shorting or crossfiring.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

dodgey68

righto i have changed just about every thing same issue, it was only sitting 2 days, now all this crap, i have redone the manifold gaskets just to make sure of vacuum leak, it runs and then just turns to shit, missing farting carrying on, there is a gremlin in the wireing some were with the spark side of thing????

skip68

Sounds like a carb problem.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

dodgey68

all the machanical is and works well its electrical, some were in/on ths vehicle is wrong :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:it runs well then all of a sudden runs shit house, then visa-versa, still havn't found the gremlin yet,,,

djcarguy

check coil and balast resister on fire wall, did ya check and apply electrical dexo lube to all grounds and harness blukhead at firewall. i had one that key switch was bad and just the swinging of the keys would hit a dead spot and kill motor and fuseable link can seem good and be burnt inside cover.had one ran great on dry days and frat and spit on rainy days,was  cracked coil top. :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :brickwall:

skip68

What DJ said, ballast resistor...

elacruze

Check the voltage on both sides of the firewall (battery and ignition switch) you may have a connection failure which is only coincidental to your other work. Farting ignitions, both electronic and points can be a sign of low supply voltage. An easy check is Battery voltage vs. ballast resistor voltage. If the supply side of the ballast is lower than the battery voltage by more than .5 volts, you have a connection problem, most likely in the bulkhead connector.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

dodgey68

finnaly got it running
changed the dizzy for the 3rd time, and the ballis resister and voltage reg again, and other earths/grounds,  :RantExplode: dunno what the issue was but running now