News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

512 Stroker Kit

Started by Shilok, January 09, 2011, 01:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shilok

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and I was looking for a little advice :)

I recently purchased 2 1973 Chargers and am looking at making one my all out track car. With the cars I also got a few engines and transmissions; I have a 440, 413 Max Wedge, 400 (needing assembly), and a 318. I also got 3 727's with the deal. The 440 and one of the 727's came out of a 76 Dodge truck and are in excellent condition with under 70k miles on them.

So..getting on to the point.  I've decided to go the stroker option with the 440, looking at 440 Source's 512 Stroker Kit.  What I am wanting to know is what is the best setup to consider for future FI?  I am a fan of SC'ing and have done it with previous cars.  I was looking at a Procharger F1-R or maybe one of the Dyers Blowers.

I am on a somewhat limited budget and I know the old saying...pick 2 of 3 Reliable, Fast, Cheap

Currently I only have a Torker, 750 Edelbrock Performer, Hooker Headers, 3" Straight pipes, and MSD Ign. and Mallory Dist.

I was looking at maybe a mechanical cam and lifter package in the neighborhood of 590/590..wanting to know what I need to get 8.5~9.0-1 compression so I can still run a Procharger with higher boost on pump gas.. and what heads would be best to use.  I know there are a lot of you with experience and ideas on this so I would love to hear any suggestions.

And to clarify when I say budget I am talking about not wanting to go over a total of 10k for the engine work.   I've put over 30k into a car before and now it's a memory in a junkyard..not trying to do that again  :rotz:

I am thinking of selling the 413 and extra transmissions..but I think that is for another thread.

elacruze

Build the 400, it has larger bores and can give more displacement than the 440. Also in an all-out effort the cylinder walls are shorter and stronger. I have a 400 waiting in the wings myself for a someday project. I'm sure somebody will step up nicely for an original 413MW.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

Build the 440 RB engine as it doesn't have the piston pin all up in the oil ring land in order to get a good rod to piston ratio...Taller decks offer better stroker  RTPR...Boost is definately where it's at..I would think you could get a stroker kit with the compression you need for boost, you'd just have to tell your machinist how much "dish" you need in the pistons..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

Quote from: Cooter on January 09, 2011, 11:12:54 AM
Build the 440 RB engine as it doesn't have the piston pin all up in the oil ring land in order to get a good rod to piston ratio...Taller decks offer better strokers better RTPR...Boost is definately where it's at..I would think you could get a stroker kit with the compression you need for boost, you'd just have to tell your machinist how much "dish" you need in the pistons..

You can get a 7.100" rod in a low deck, and in a track car a high pin doesn't matter at all.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Challenger340

For Track only intentions;
If you are talking any boost at all, even 8-10 lbs on Pump Fuels, any cubic Inch Combo, with pretty much any Head on the F1, they can quickly produce more power than the stock 2 Bolt Main Blocks are going to hold over time ?
Not an IF, but more WHEN a Main Cap or the Crank exits "Stage Bottom" ?
The Dish Pistons, (which the Dish gets bigger to maintain the low CR the bigger the engine gets), only Compounds the Crank/Main hammering.

:Twocents: Best include some Main Cap Strengthening for added Integrity at the outset of any Machining plans ? or better yet an Aftermarket Block ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Shilok

The only reason I really favor the 440 is because it is out of a 76 Dodge truck, and is, from what I have read a bit more stout of an engine.  From an article I've read the main saddle supports are quite a bit thicker as well. (Also from 440 Source's website) 

I was going to makes sure to have a full port/polish balance/blueprinting while the motor was being broken down for the stroker kit anyway, and I am an overall fan of the RB block. I never gave serious thought to the 400, but it does sound like it would be a good candidate for a powerful street car. 

I am wanting something specifically geared for track so it won't be a daily driver..  The 400 will probably end up being my more "fuel friendly" DD in my other car.

I was looking at the BIG BLOCK 383/440 ALUMINUM CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY listed on Jimsautoparts.com  Don't know if anyone has any experience with these, but they look like they flow very good for what I'm looking for.   http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_performance_heads.htm

I appreciate the input guys.