News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what cam is this?

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, December 31, 2010, 01:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

i have a 1972 steel crank 440 that ive had for a few years now. it been in my cellar and ive decided to just take the gamble and throw it in the car. the bores and everything look good. anyway back to my question the only markings i can see on it are cwc and ep-45.

i cant find anything on it at all i just wanna see if its a good combo for my setup. the pistons are .030 oversized and i measured them to be .095" down the hole.

firefighter3931

Hi Mike  :wave:

Not sure on that cam....it could be anything. Probably a std rebuild piece  :shruggy:

The pistons are down in the hole a fair bit so the compression will be low(er). A good plan of attack would be to swap your heads and cam over from the 400 motor and run those parts.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brightyellow69rtse

hey Ron it s been a while but i think this time im back for good :icon_smile_big: anyway i was definatly planning on using my 452's off the 400. i had a 3 angle vavle job done and i had em milled .050". definatly using the steel shim head gaskit. i got a brandy new street dominator intake for it too i just gotta get it milled so it will fit the heads.

can i reuse the lifters along with the summit cam outta the 400? ive been outta the charger game for atleast 2 years im unsure of any real nice performance things that might have poped up in that time. is there a better cam i should buy?

firefighter3931

Mike, that cam ran pretty good in a smogger 400 so there's no reason to believe it won't work equally well (if not better) in a mild 440  :2thumbs:

Make sure to mark the lifters and replace them in the same lifter bores on the 440. Transfer the cam/lifters/timing chain etc....and have some fun. It should be an easy & economical buildup.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brightyellow69rtse

Ron i wasnt planning on reusing the cam when i took the engine out so like an idiot i just threw all the lifters in a bag unmarked :(  from what i remember they all look brand new with no visable wear at all. does it really matter if i just toss em in if they all look good?

maxwellwedge

Never a good idea.....I would get some new lifters and follow with a careful break-in.

Brightyellow69rtse

any reccomendations? i see summit sells a generic lifter for 3 bucks each. should i grab those or should i just get a new cam with lifters?

FLG

firefighter3931

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 02, 2011, 09:28:32 PM
Never a good idea.....I would get some new lifters and follow with a careful break-in.

:iagree:  unmarked lifters are now scrap...send them off to the bin !

Quote from: FLG on January 02, 2011, 11:38:30 PM
These are good lifters, and priced good too! Ron recommended  :2thumbs:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5649254&an=0&page=2

Those are good quality lifters  :2thumbs:

Ron