News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 duster PS box in 73 challenger?

Started by charger2fast4u, December 30, 2010, 09:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

hey i'm looking at buying a power steering box out of a 1971 duster. but before i do can anyone tell me if it will fit in my 73 challenger? are they the same box? here's a picture of the box i'm looking into buying. also how can you tell a large shaft box from a small shaft box?

Cooter

I can tell you this, I think you will need a Power Steering steering column for that Challenger if it came with Manual steering...The manual columns were longer (Shorter box)...

I think all the steering boxes were the same as far as mounting patterns, but it's the pitman arms that were different(Shaft size as well as differnet  lengths, etc.), so you would need to find a PS pitman arm for that Challenger also....I have a PS column for a Challenger if you need it...Complete with 1972 Steering wheel..Of course, shipping it prolly wouldn't be prudent, but you welcome to come and get it...Column is in Va..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger2fast4u

thanks for the offer cooter but lucky for me it already has power steering. i just am looking for a cheap PS box to pick up as a core for firm feel. so i can keep it drivable and not have to wait until they recieve my box and the turn around time and i can keep my original box. looking for some info if they are the same or different besides the pitman arms 

gtx6970

the pitman shaft is smaller on the 71 box, so it'll require a matching arm to fit,( which isa vail thru Steer N Gear.  otherwise it'll bolt right in

charger2fast4u

thanks for the info is there a cutoff year that they switched from the small shafts to big shafts? are all 68-70 charger PS box's the same or did they come in the small shaft and large shaft as well? also will this box bolt and work in the chargers?