News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions on MSD ignitions

Started by chargerbr549, November 24, 2010, 07:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbr549

I have a couple of questions on my 6520 MSD box that I am installing, MSD says not to use an advance timing light to time the engine, why is that? I might have to buy a standard timing light and put a timing degree tape on the dampner if need be, also it says you most likely need a special wiring adapter to run a tachometer (I have a sun super tach II) and your not suppose to hook it to the coil but to the tach lead terminal on the MSD box itself does that sound right? On my chrysler orange box ignition I just grounded out the coil for a hidden kill switch but I am afraid to do that on my MSD without wrecking it, i'm not used to this fancy stuff.

Kevin

Ghoste

I use an advance light on mine.  It's the first I've heard of it so I hope I'm not wrecking something.  As to the tach adaptor, most tachs require one with the MSD.  The instruction sheet should have alist of ones that don't need it.  I wired mine as per their instructions but I can't say as to the coil ground kill bit.

firefighter3931

Some dialback timing lights will give false readings.....standard timing lights are considered safe with the multispark discharge. I have an autometer tach and connected to the tach output and it works fine.

The white wire can be used with a kill switch if so desired.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

Autometer tachs don't usually have a problem, but you hook MSD ignition to any other aftermarket tach and the MSD will blow it up. I did this on a stock '85 Mustang GT tach in the dash and it worked for about 3 seconds, then fell flat never to live again....The Adapter they are talking bout allows you to use ALL aftermarket tachs with MSD...It seems they can't read the MSD ignition without the adapter and it blows 'em up...If you still want the "Kill switch", then just simply hook it up in line with the big red wire feeding the MSD....That way, the MSD only has power when the switch is flipped.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BSB67

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 24, 2010, 10:17:21 PM
Some dialback timing lights will give false readings.....standard timing lights are considered safe with the multispark discharge. I have an autometer tach and connected to the tach output and it works fine.

The white wire can be used with a kill switch if so desired.

Ron

I have used three dial-back timing lights - all three were incorrect. I'm sure that this was some kind of anomaly, but I will not even bother trying one again.  My first timing light I purchased 35 years ago is what I use today.  You cannot go wrong with a std light and timing tape.  For something quick and generally accurate enough, 1 degree is equal to 0.06327".  So 20 degrees is about 1.25" and 36 degrees is about 2.25".  Simply measure these distances from the balancer TDC groove  and mark on the balancer.  Then use the "zero" mark on the timing tab to measure against.

The mid level Autometers and up will work.  I don't know about the lower end units.  I believe that most low end tachs will not work.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

gtx6970

While we're on MSD

what are the options for mounting, yet hiding the MSD control box.

Will it do any damage if I mount it on the rear of the engine , similar to mounting an ECU behind the rear of the intake

Ghoste

ACUDANUT

Stick with Mopar Electronic Iginiton.  MSD is a Chevy thing IMO :Twocents:

gtx6970

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 01, 2010, 07:53:16 PM
Stick with Mopar Electronic Iginiton.  MSD is a Chevy thing IMO :Twocents:

I wish I could, but the decision has already been made.
I have to do some work on a 1970  440+6 runner. and I personally would like to hide the MSD box

the 1970 Hemi cuda I'm working on now does have the Mopar ecu, but well hidden

To the OP, My apologies for the temporary  hijack

Ghoste

How do you figure MSD is a Chevy thing?

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2010, 08:59:19 PM

I think he's on the rag tonight. :angel:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2010, 08:59:19 PM
Chevy and Ford were way behind in the Electronic Ignition system back in the day.  It seems they needed it more than we did...I love Mopar's ECU and never had a problem using them.  All six of my cars run on Mopars ECU's....MSD imo is a waste of money, time and headaches. :Twocents:

Ghoste

You're one of the very very few that hasn't had an ecu burn out then (which of course is a good thing).
Since it was never really marketed at Chevy guys but performance in general I suppose I just don't see it the same way.   I didn't waste a single penny on my MSD.

ACUDANUT

I see more threads about problems with MSD's,  than I do Chrysler ECU's  :nana:

elacruze

They both work just fine, any problems with either one are usually failure of the owner to read and understand all the pertinent information, which is abundantly available to anyone who can use Google Search.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ghoste

I don't think my burnt out ecu's had anything to do with reading.

elacruze

Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2010, 07:35:51 PM
I don't think my burnt out ecu's had anything to do with reading.

Everything fails in time and to some degree. I've only seen one burnt Chrysler ECU personally, and it was mine-with a very poor ground to the case.
Never discount a bad distribution of chaos. (luck)
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ghoste

I like that, a bad distribution of chaos.  I think I'm gonna steal that and use it from time to time.  :lol: