News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

reverse lights not working on '68

Started by 68neverlate, December 05, 2010, 08:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68neverlate

New to the show and hoping someone can help...  I just purchased a '68 charger a little while ago (383 magnum; 727 trans) and am working my way through a few electrical issues.  The reverse lights are currently not working (not bulbs) so I'm trying to track down the problem.  I think it's either wiring or the reverse switch itself (but let me know if it could be something else too).  The serial number of my VIN is quite high (402...), so I think I'm looking at a manufacture date quite late in the year (I read in another post that late model '68s will have the reverse light switch on the trans rather than the console shifter).  What part of the trans should I be looking at when trying to locate the switch??  Any help/pics anyone could provide would be helpful!     :cheers:

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

1969chargerrtse

This thread would probably be in the electric gauge light section, but..... If it has a trani switch like in 69 it would be on the driver side of the trani, kinda mid section with wiring running to it.  3 wires on the 69 year. I think middle pin is neutral switch and 2 outer pins are for the trani lights. That harness runs up to the firewall 2 plug connector and the 3rd neutral goes to another point, I think. Post a reverse or back up lamp question on the search box in the electric lights section and there are a lot of threads and pictures. Been there done that.
When you locate the 2plug connector on the firewall just jump the 2 female connectors and the reverse lamps should light. The connector is grey I think and above the big 3 firewall main connectors.

And welcome to the site.  Easy fix.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

68neverlate

Thanks for the info guys.  I do have wiring diagrams... this part of the circuitry shows a couple of different wiring routes depending on whether the switch is on the console shifter or the trans itself (it covers both designs).  It's the actual physical/visual I was after. 

I'll have a look on the engine/trans section as you suggested 1969chargerrtse... appreciate the direction.

Looking forward to future posts and info sharing... I've been reading posts on here for a while and its great when the members are as cooperative as they are in this forum... it benefits everyone!

Keep your stick on the ice! :coolgleamA: