News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Level sensor ? An Accurate one ?

Started by Rolling_Thunder, April 10, 2010, 02:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

So - does anyone have a source for a fuel level sending unit that is accurate ? All I have ever seen are ones that are inaccurate -    :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Belgium R/T -68

Have seen some threads here about people calibrating them but can't find them back.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Rolling_Thunder

well from what i read they still do not read accurately - they never read full or never read empty...     the resistance is calibrated incorrectly on a lot of the aftermarket sending units - i was wondering if anyone found a company that sells a properly resisted one.

Hemidog

"Does anyone sell a sending unit that works properly without calibrating and with the right Ohm range?"

No.
Not that I know of.

Mike DC

Surely I would think there's a decent solution SOMEWHERE in the aftermarket world. 

If not a factory Mopar-intended item then something that could be rigged up? 

moparstuart

every thing i have read comes back to you have to bent the float rod on any of them to get the gauge to read correctly

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dans 68

The problem, as I understand it, is that the original fuel sender units were non-linear, in that the resistance seen by the gauge from the fuel sender unit would be about 8 ohms at full, 73 ohms at empty and 23 ohms at half full (The straight line on the attached logarithmic graph is the proper relationship between the fuel sender resistance and the fuel gauge reading. This would allow the factory gauges to read correctly). The after market units can do the full and empty readings just fine, but the mid-level settings were off (see the graph). While the factory units put out about 23 ohms at half a tank (non-linear scale), the aftermarket ones put out about 40.5 ohms (mid-way between 8 ohms and 73 ohms, and thus a linear scale). It is only a problem if you want to know exactly where your fuel level actually is between full and empty.  :Twocents:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Rolling_Thunder

Ah - Got it - I only really care about empty and full - I usually never run my tank less than 1/4 tank anyway...     as long it is somewhat accurate thats good enough for me

b5blue

Keep in mind slight differences in the attitude of the cars chassis, the fact that the tank is an irregular shape and that the sender's sweep is an arc all work against anyone trying to sell 1 that would for all cars.  :Twocents:  (Mine reads empty at 4 gallons or so left and I like it that way.) 

Mike DC

Who would wanna bother with a fuel gauge that told you where the level was between full & empty?

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 10, 2010, 10:02:22 PM

Who would wanna bother with a fuel gauge that told you where the level was between full & empty?

:rofl:
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

b5blue

When you use the car every day like I do it's never full or empty! (And I know exactly what's in-between)   :2thumbs:

Brock Lee

Maybe what needs to be done at this point is to look into having one of the gauge rebuilding places rebuild the gauge to run the resistance sweep of the modern sending units.