News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do stainless exhaust manifold studs and nuts help prevent seizing?

Started by bull, December 19, 2005, 11:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I was just wondering if using stainless steel studs and nuts would help calm that constant heading/cooling/rust thing that always happens to exhaust manifold fasteners? That and some of that silver never-seize.

Runner

i like the ss fastners for that very reason.  although you may find on a car that is only drivin in nice weather and not alot that stock bolts with antisieze wont have much corosion issues

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Chryco Psycho

I find the opposite SS fasteners wil often gall up & need to be cut apart , even using anti sieze on them will not nessisarily stop this

bull

That high temp silver never seize is supposed to be good up to something like 1,200 degrees but I doubt anything can withstand the heat in that area for very long.

1970440RT

Chryc is correct on this one, the dissimilar metals will accelerate corrosion.  Steel studs and high temp anti seize ( pricey ) is the way to go.

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

MOPARHOUND!

When I had the factory HP manifolds on, I used brass bolts and nuts to connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold on the recommendation of my father-in-law, who works on castings/forms all day at one of GM's foundries.

Haven't tried brass nuts to fasten the heads studs to the manifold though.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Dans 68

Quote from: 1970440RT on December 22, 2005, 10:07:43 PM
Chryc is correct on this one, the dissimilar metals will accelerate corrosion.   Steel studs and high temp anti seize ( pricey ) is the way to go.
:iagree:

As a former design engineer on Air Force contracts, carbon steel fasteners and anti-seize compound is per Mil-Spec...and the best way to go.   :angel:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259