News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New engine turns real slow, is this a bad sign?

Started by skip68, January 13, 2007, 06:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I'm trying to turn over my new engine (446) and it barely moves.  :shruggy: This engine has never been fired yet and it only moves the rotor about a 1/4 in. every time I try to turn it over.  I was told by the shop that put it in that the motor was tight. They did turn it over a few cranks.  Should I be worried ?   :shruggy:  Any suggestions on what I should do?  And is this commen?   :smilie_help:  Chuck..........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

RD

is this deja vu?  I am sure I have seen this post in the past.

does it turn over easily without the spark plugs in?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

skip68

I have not tried that yet but I'm going to.  Is it OK to pull the plugs and crank it over several times to loosen it up even though the cam is not broke in ?
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

RD

since you are having difficulties turning it over, i would prime your engine with oil first.  You will have to crank the engine ever so slightly (1/4 turns at a time) while priming the engine.

it will not hurt your engine, nor will it hurt your cam.

do you have the engine in the car?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

skip68

Yes the engine is in the car and was primed.  I pulled the plugs and still no luck and then I found part of the problem.  :slap: I've got some bad connections at the starter.  :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: My son said he saw blue sparks under the car so I took a looksee.  :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:  Now my battery is low so I'm done tonight.  How much can I turn it over without messing up the cam ?    Chuck........................... :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

Mefirst

-Hmm, this reminds me of how my now dead 440 was acting. It was really difficult to turn over the crank by hand. Reason was the cylinders were bore to tight against the pistons and he piston pins were stuck to the rods due to lack of oiling and a to tight fit..

So DO NOT start the engine before you have figured out whats makes it feel so tight when turning it over by hand, even with the sparkpugs unplugged, or you will most certainly have an engine disaster on your hands...

Good Luck...

/Tom

RD

Quote from: skip68 on January 13, 2007, 10:06:38 PM
Yes the engine is in the car and was primed.  I pulled the plugs and still no luck and then I found part of the problem.  :slap: I've got some bad connections at the starter.  :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: My son said he saw blue sparks under the car so I took a looksee.  :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:  Now my battery is low so I'm done tonight.  How much can I turn it over without messing up the cam ?    Chuck........................... :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

have you not tried to turn the engine by hand?

skip68

skip68

OK, it turns over by hand with the plugs out and I'm done for the third time tonight .  :icon_smile_big:  Unless I think of something else to do.     No, that's it for tonight.  :icon_smile_dead:

RD

Quote from: skip68 on January 14, 2007, 12:44:39 AM
OK, it turns over by hand with the plugs out and I'm done for the third time tonight .  :icon_smile_big:  Unless I think of something else to do.     No, that's it for tonight.  :icon_smile_dead:

sounds like you just had a starter electrical issue then my friend. hope your anxiety level is down now :D

skip68

I hope that's it.  So should I not turn it over too much before the cam is broke in?

RD

Quote from: skip68 on January 14, 2007, 12:47:33 AM
I hope that's it.  So should I not turn it over too much before the cam is broke in?

as long as you have the cam lubed up fine, you turning it over by hand will not hurt anything.  now that you know your starter had issues and you have fixed them, I would go ahead with your break in procedures.  of course, i would not plan to break in any motor if it is below 50 degrees outside, that is just me though.

skip68

Thanks RD, I'm going to try in the morning. As soon as I put the radiator back in and hook up a Tach and a few other things. Maybe by afternoon  :P  Boy will I be scared for those first 20min.  :scared:   Chuck................

RD

Quote from: skip68 on January 14, 2007, 12:58:48 AM
Thanks RD, I'm going to try in the morning. As soon as I put the radiator back in and hook up a Tach and a few other things. Maybe by afternoon  :P  Boy will I be scared for those first 20min.  :scared:   Chuck................

just make sure that you have the engine primed, it is at TDC on the compression stroke at #1 cylinder, your rotor bug lines up properly to #1, you have good oil pressure and, you have the engine in neutral when you start it up.

I always hook my engines up to a mechanical oil pressure gauge when I do a break in, just so I can instantaneously see pressure build or fall and no where it sits at.

skip68

Neutral,  not park huh? O.K.  I'll be on here in the morning I'm sure so thanks for everything so far.  :engel016:

firefighter3931

Quote from: skip68 on January 14, 2007, 12:47:33 AM

That is correct....you will wipe off the moly lube from the lifters if it's turned over. If you plan to rotate it before firing it up, pull the lifters and recoat the bottoms just before initial start.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sixty8charger

just started hand turning mine the other day....  wow it is pretty tight...  so i have to have this engine disassembled!! .....great
Jayson