News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header recommendation

Started by super_dave, October 18, 2010, 11:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

super_dave

Hi guys, working on getting all the parts together to move the restoration of the Charger along.   Need a complete exhaust syste, all I have is the original exhaust manifolds.
Car is 69 and using a 72 - 440, pretty much all stock engine.  Looking for a nice sounding exhaust, not obnoxiously loud, but definetly louder than stock.  Don't know what size pipe I should be considering, so your input on an off the shelf complete system reasonably priced would be appreciatted, thanks so much.
:cheers:

super_dave

Should I just get a complete TTi system....is there any other alternatives? 

twodko

Hey SuperDave,

We have very similar cars and I have stock exhaust manifolds as well. I bought a complete system from Accurate Exhaust Products. The package includes everything down to the OEM SS exhaust tips. The pipes are mandrel bent to perfection and the "H" pipe is a work of art. The mufflers are stock for a 440 R/T hp and sound like a monster mopar BB should sound. We are very satisfied with this setup, the engine breathes easy and its not a blast furnace under the hood. The total cost for the whole deal was $924.00. Good luck and tell us what you go with.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

super_dave

Quote from: twodko on October 18, 2010, 12:55:40 PM
Hey SuperDave,

We have very similar cars and I have stock exhaust manifolds as well. I bought a complete system from Accurate Exhaust Products. The package includes everything down to the OEM SS exhaust tips. The pipes are mandrel bent to perfection and the "H" pipe is a work of art. The mufflers are stock for a 440 R/T hp and sound like a monster mopar BB should sound. We are very satisfied with this setup, the engine breathes easy and its not a blast furnace under the hood. The total cost for the whole deal was $924.00. Good luck and tell us what you go with.

Tom

I'll defenitely look into that, thanks for the lead!
:cheers:

super_dave

Ok, have been doing bunch of research, definetly like the TTI system, and can get locally for a decent price.  Question is the manifold back exhaust system is decent price, to add the TTI coated headers makes it not decent... :laugh:   Being that the motor is a 72, produces quite a bit less power than a 69, should i drop the extra $900.00 into the headers straight off?  (shipping and duty pushes price up!)  So I'm into $2000.00 complete system with headers or $1000.00 stock manifold back X pipe....thoughts?  Just cam and update carb instead?

Back N Black

I have the TTI system from front to back, its a great system and the headers tuck up nice under the car.  :2thumbs:

greenpigs

I would get the system with the stock HP manifolds. That 1000 extra could be spent somewhere else and your not going to be giving up THAT much power on a mostly stock 72 motor.

I use Headman headers 1 7\8 that cost $159 but you could get the ceramic coated ones that cost about twice that. Mine fit fine and do not hang very low. I also have a mostly stock 72 440 in my Charger and run 2 1\2 pipe with Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers and it sounds good. It dumps in front of the third member but eventually I plan on getting a X pipe and tail pipes installed. My exhaust right now cost about $350 and with tailpipes should be about 150 more.
:Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

Since you asked about headers, I'd go with a 1 7/8" Header. There just ain't no better header for a stock to mild BB Chrysler...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

71charger_fan

Schumachers will give you excellent fit and access to your starter but they cost as much as TTIs. You'd have to have an exhaust shop fabricate connector pipes. I'm very happy with mine and the Pypes system hooked to them.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Cooter on October 19, 2010, 06:58:17 PM
Since you asked about headers, I'd go with a 1 7/8" Header. There just ain't no better header for a stock to mild BB Chrysler...

:iagree: the 1 7/8 x 3 is ideal for a mild to wild 440 and even works well on a 500in street/strip build.

If you're thinking that you might upgrade the engine package at some point just bite the bullet now and go with the whole TTI system. The TTI headers work great with both stock and aftermarket cylinder heads (Edelbrock/Indy)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs