News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are our choices for E15 carbs?

Started by bull, October 18, 2010, 12:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just wondering if this is still a niche market or if Holley, Edelbrock, Demon, etc., are getting on board to offer carbs built to handle the potential (or more likely inevitable) higher alcohol content?

And while I'm at it, what else would we have to change to keep from screwing things up? Basically everything the fuel touches I assume but I'm wondering if a typical fuel line you might buy at Autozone would be rated to handle E85 E15? Or am I worrying needlessly?

bull

Quote from: frederick on October 18, 2010, 04:18:49 AM
Here's one:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com.au/index.php/component/content/article/5-carbs/12-e85series

I saw those carbs on the Summit website for between $570 and $1,000+ depending on the cfm rating. :o A 750 cfm Quick Fuel carb, the closest to 770 that would work on my car, would be $750. Only $350 more than a Holley 770. :rotz:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=e85%20carburetor&dds=1

tricky lugnuts

Can't speak for the validity of any of it, but it looks like someone wrote what seems to be a decent and reasonably intelligent article about doing just this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines

Looks like the article has sections on E85 conversions for fuel-injected, turbo charged and carbureted vehicles.

Looks like there might be a bit more to it than just (gasp: expensive) swapping carburetors, but nothing impossible.

Seems to me like you'd have a hard time building something set up and ready to run E85 or regular unleaded on any given day using the technology in our old cars, but I suppose nothing is impossible with enough effort or money.

Even the increased fuel flow required, up to 25-30 percent more to run ethanol, according to the article, would be interesting to see executed, but I imagine it would be possible with some sort of heavy duty electric fuel pump and adjustable pressure or flow regulator.

bull

From that article: "recent tests by the National Renewable Energy Lab on fleet vehicles owned by the state of Ohio showed about a 25% reduction in mpg."

Nice. ::) So by increasing the alcohol content in our gasoline to 15% our mpg drops by 25%? This is supposed to lessen our dependence on foreign oil?

suntech

Bull..........E 85 is not 85% gas, and 15% Ethanol......it is the other way around.....15% gas and 85% Ethanol!! You will need to make sure the hoses and floater seats etc will stand up against the ethanol. Most modern hoses etc does. You will not need a bigger carb. Ethanol contains more oxygen than gas, so you get your extra oxygen through you fuel line! The carb needs to be able to flow app 30 % more fuel, without starting to foam, or needing to increase fuel pressure to a point that floater needles are not capable of sealing as they should anymore. you can start with jetting app 30% bigger in surface area, but you might be able to go down some from that. You will be able to, and you will need to jack up the timing quite a bit. To low timing will make the exhaust system run very hot.

We have a 2,4 litre ( 4 syl inline 16 valve, fuel injected) motor we use in rally x, and used to run unleaded 93 ( ron+mon :2 )and we ended up 23 to 28% richer on WOT, and from 7 to 11 deg more timing, also on WOT, when swopping to E85. We spent quite some time cleaning up the mapping throug entire RPMĀ“s and throttle range, and we were super happy with it! We also bumped up the CR from 13,2:1 to 15,1:1, without problems. This engine had peak power 282 hp @ 7100 rpm , and we picked up just a few HP there, but the big one was midrange........ 18% gain @ 4700 rpm!! :2thumbs:  E85 is good shit.......when used right!!!!   :Twocents:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

bull

Oh yea, good point about the E85 rating I mentioned. Sorry for the confusion on my part Speaking of which, what are the people in the midwest doing do deal with E85? I'm sure not everyone can or would take their 1988 Oldsmobile to a chassis dyno so do they just let them gum up and scrap them out or what?

Paul G

In the midwest E85 is sold at a great number of gas stations, but not all. It is a third or even fourth pump in the island. 87, 89, and 93 are still the most popular fuels. Only certain vehicles are equipped to run on E85. Most people who could run it don't bother, or even know they can run on it.

In the south west I have yet to find an E85 pump. I hear they may sell it somewhere in Phoenix. Not sure? So out here it is not readily available.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

knitz01

The biggest advantage for e85 is in High HP uses. if your running standerd pump gas u r better of stayi ng with it. But if u r running race gas at 5-7$/gal then u can get the same performance out of e85 with the 30% more u use at 2.30/ gal.... I read on turbostangs.com i think. *800 hp out of a turbo 347 on e 85.

bull

Looks like it's a go whether anyone wants it, whether our engines can handle it, or not. Now I'm actually worried about my commuter vehicle instead of just the Charger. :rotz: Can the computer running a 1994 3.9 Dodge engine work with E15?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-Said-to-Allow-Rise-in-bloomberg-701169662.html?x=0

Paul G

We have been using 10% ethanol for years now. A long time, as far back as I can remember. Some stations would have a disclaimer on the pump stating that thier gasoline "may" contain 10% ethanol. Been that way a long time. I remember way back when it started people were concerned that the 10% ethanol was cheaper gas. And it was, but the cars ran fine with it. Only thing was it didnt get as good of mileage.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

HPP

E85 is a whole nuther game, like others have said. To use it you will need to revise the carb significantly to work well. If your going to use it routinely, you might as well get in to the engine and bump up the compression to take advantage of its 105 octane rating. If you stick with gasoline compression levels, your giving up efficiency.

E15 won't require a wholesale revamping of your carb. Chances are good you might already be using E10 right now. In any case, running the E15 will require some adjustment to jetting and maybe timing, but won't require a whole new carb. Most carb rebuild kits these days have compatible "rubber" components in them to run with E10 or E15. Fuel pumps and fuel hose may be another issue as not all of these are upgraded to allow the higher alcohol levels. But, no doubt the aftermarket will respond with E15 compatible parts that will make a change over pretty painless.