News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dana 60 gearing help please

Started by 66hemi, September 26, 2010, 08:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66hemi

Can someone please answer a few questions. I have a 69 RT 4 spd with a 4.10 dana 60 and want to go more highway so I can go to more shows with out beating the car up getting there. What is a good to put in and will I need to change the carrier? I have 15" wheels also.

Thanks for the help.
66 hemi Charger 4 spd
69 Charger R/T 4 spd. TP

Chatt69chgr

I think you will be looking at a 3.54 which should fit in that carrier.  Means replacing the ring and pinion.  Not a job for the unschooled.  Special tools required.  Probably need to look at some websites to see what's involved in rebuilding one of these, then call Strange Engineering to get ring and pinion plus will need to replace pinion gasket and I think it has a crush sleeve.  The axles will have to be pulled to get the carrier out and if you are doing that you might as well replace the inner axle seals.  Probably has a Power-Lok limited slip.  Good time to rebuild that too----new clutches.  Need to find a good shop that does rear ends all day long.  Probably a independent shop that does truck Dana's.  They will have all the tools and experience. 

There are lots of simple online calculators that allow you to punch in the rear end ratio, tire height, and will yield engine rpm.  The strange engineering site will show what ratios are available between 3.54 and 4.10.  Lots of online calculators to convert tire size to tire height  (ie, diameter).

You only other alternative would be to look at a Gear Vendors overdrive.  They have an online site.  They are expensive but would allow you to keep the 4.10 and when engaging the OD drop the engine rpm for the highway.  Would require the driveshaft to be shortened.