News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your old car seriously being misrepresented on EBAY. What would you do?

Started by nh_mopar_fan, September 24, 2010, 08:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nh_mopar_fan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180562942395#description

Not the 3rd owner.  At least the 5th. I may have been the 3rd and it changed hands at least twice after me.
Not the original block.
Not the original dash
The entire story of this car sitting in a garage for 25 years is BS.

I already told him all of that when he had it up for sale months ago.

Half of me wants to warn the higher bidder and the other half figures it's a case of "buyer beware".

Ghoste

I hear ya on both counts.  I'd probably try and warn people if I could though.  Anything we do to discourage thieves in the market is good.

Charger-Bodie

I'm not by any means promting his BS story, but is any of the crap going to come back to hurt the new owner? or ?

If not I would leave it alone, If there is that potentail Id be warning people.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

RD

the dude's write up makes him sound like he is full of feces anyway.  reminds me of a tv informercial.. "FOR LIMITED TIME ONLY!!" "YOU CANT PASS THIS UP!" verbiage.

i say bust the a-hole out.  its d-bags like him that ruin it for all of us.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TeeWJay426

Quote from: RD on September 24, 2010, 09:38:05 AM
the dude's write up makes him sound like he is full of feces anyway.  reminds me of a tv informercial.. "FOR LIMITED TIME ONLY!!" "YOU CANT PASS THIS UP!" verbiage.

i say bust the a-hole out.  its d-bags like him that ruin it for all of us.

:iagree: X2
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

HPP

Post the the statement to him as questions on the auction and they become visible for anyone to read and decide on themselves.

RallyeMike

A question only posts if the seller chooses to post it. It's not automatic.

Just tell the guy that you will be emailing your information to the winning bidder as soon as the auction closes.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

NHCharger

Tough call. If you have no physical proof and your info nullifies the sale he could try to sue. Everyone is sue happy these days.
I would try what RallyeMike said, see if the seller blinks.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Aero426

Assuming you've sold the car and represented it accurately, your responsibility is fulfilled.   Talk about it here all you want.   If you've advised the current owner, that's as far as I'd go.  If a future owner contacts you, tell them the truth.   Much of what you or the current owner claims can be deemed as hearsay either way.  Let the buyer decide what is BS.   At the end of the day, it's really not your problem.    

HITMAN 149

if you got your $$$$ for the car when you sold it.... who cares!!! you got paid what you wanted for the car... just remember KARMA IS A BITCH!!!!!! if he's missrepresenting the car.... it'll come back on him!! i would only warn the new potential buyer if it's someone you know was interested...
just my .02
:cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

elacruze

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on September 24, 2010, 11:25:11 PM
if you got your $$$$ for the car when you sold it.... who cares!!! you got paid what you wanted for the car... just remember KARMA IS A BITCH!!!!!! if he's missrepresenting the car.... it'll come back on him!! i would only warn the new potential buyer if it's someone you know was interested...
just my .02
:cheers:

Somebody has to be Karma for Karma to happen. Don't allow crooks to rob somebody if you can stop them with legitimate knowledge and process.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Old Moparz

It's frustrating to see things like this, but there isn't a lot you can do that won't suck up all your time & energy. This seller is why I decided years ago that numbers matching, all original, super rare, didn't interest me enough to where I thought it was important to me when I wanted a certain car. I'd be 100% content with yanking a slant six & dropping in a big block.

The one statement of the car being the 3rd owner could be "legally" true even if it isn't "technically" true.

(Follow me on this....lol)

I bought a 1970 GTX years ago that had changed hands 3 times without the title being signed over, & bought it from a guy in NJ who said it died on the way home when he bought it, so he never got to title it.

He bought another car, a 1971 Cuda, & put the GTX up for sale. He had bought it from another guy in NJ that bought it before he went into the military, so he never titled it knowing he was shipping out & sold it.

That guy bought it from 2 co-owners in MA that actually signed the title when they sold it. I have no idea how many times it was bought & sold by the time they got it.

I lived in NJ at the time & was titling the GTX for the 1st time in that state. NJ issued titles to a car that were sold with an additional letter to the VIN (can't recall if it's before or after) that designates the owner number. If I remember correctly, letter A represented the second owner, B the third, etc. No letter meant you were the original owner. When I sold the car, the buyer was very excited that he was buying the car from "the original owner" of it.

I said no, & told him the story of my purchase, but he said to his friend "It doesn't matter, as far as I'm concerned the next buyer will see that I got it from the original owner."

Yeah, maybe at the age 8 I'd have bought it if I used my allowance money in 1970.  ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TK73

Yeah, the not having the original block is a BIG DEAL to somebody spending big money on a "rare" type of car.

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Aero426

The ad does not specifically point out that it is the numbers matching block.   He uses the words "original" and "date coded".   You can interpret that a number of ways.   Buyer needs to do their homework.   The hype in the ad should be enough to prompt a buyer to look deeper.

nh_mopar_fan

The dash issue is a big one in my mind. Vin plates in 1967 are on the door pillar. I'm pretty sure the dash is from a 1968. The car came with all sorts of receipts from a yellow 68 dart parts car in the glovebox. Unless I am wrong, there should not be a spot for the vin plate on the dash of a 1967. This car has that spot although there is no vin plate in the recessed area.

It's also got a thumbwheel radio which was out until 1968.

I think I'm just going to let the auction ride. I think he was looking for somewhere around 32K for it. If you're going to drop that kind of change, you had better know what you are buying.

Cooter

Exactly...you just can't police the stupid...I mean, I can't blame the guy for trying to get all he can, although I don't agree with it...It's a dog eat dog world and there just ain't no room for P**sy's...A Fool and his money are soon parted. If the new buyer buys this car thinking it's legit, then he's a bigger fool than the guy selling as such...You can bend over in public and 10 people will walk right by you and never even blink..However, it's that 11th person that will f*ck you just cause they can....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RallyeMike

QuoteExactly...you just can't police the stupid...I mean, I can't blame the guy for trying to get all he can, although I don't agree with it...It's a dog eat dog world and there just ain't no room for P**sy's...A Fool and his money are soon parted. If the new buyer buys this car thinking it's legit, then he's a bigger fool than the guy selling as such...You can bend over in public and 10 people will walk right by you and never even blink..However, it's that 11th person that will f*ck you just cause they can....

When the new owner shows up at DC.com we'll welcome him the site with a link to this post and suggest a user name change to "A$$-F****d Fool".   :lol:

It's tough. Everyone has to make their own call if they want to get involved, and it depends on a personal judgment call as to if the issue is significant enough to a buyer. I too think I'm a smart buyer and the rest of the suckers can take their lumps, but I also know enough to understand that there are smart and devious sellers who know how to word a statement or cover a defect. If it was significant, and somebody knew it, I'd appreciate knowing the truth.

And on a side note, as an ex-circle track guy, your tag line is funnier than hell ! Thanks.

Quote"I drive straight towards the finish line, not in circles looking for it"

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/