News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl Top Trim Repair

Started by troutstreamnm, September 20, 2010, 09:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutstreamnm

Hi All,
I've got a vinyl top trim piece off the sail panel that is worn out and it won't hold down correctly (see pics).  The trunk lid is hitting it because it's not set correctly and has scratched my new paint job  :brickwall:.  Is there a way to repair/replace the anchor studs that hold the trim piece on?  Thanks for your help  :cheers:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

doctor4766

Looks a little out of shape from the pics.
Why don't you just get a better one?
Gotta love a '69

twodko

I'd need to see more detailed pix but from the pix you did post its looks a little bent. Those bends should straighten OK, if the pot metal isn't cracked and the studs are all present. Use that blue painters tape to mask off your paint, dry fit the newly straightened molding gently twisting the piece if its necessary so it'll lay flat. You'll need some new speed nuts and a little rope putting. Don't apply the putty to the studs, apply a small ball to the inside of the speed nut. Putting the putty on the nut avoids squeeze out.
Or........you can buy a new pair of moldings. Lotta help I am huh!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

troutstreamnm

Well the molding is cracked where you see the bends...been that way since I bought the car.  If I decide to go with new molding, do you have any suggestions for suppliers?  Thanks
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

troutstreamnm

2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

twodko

Gunslinger, YearOne (personally I won't give them a dime), BE&A, Jacks's Auto Parts all offer the trim pieces you need. Shop around for the best price. I've got lots 'o 69 stuff available but no VT check molding. Keep us posted, good luck.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

troutstreamnm

Thanks Twodko. :2thumbs:  I may try to straighten and get new speed nuts as you suggested.  It did not have the speed nut on which is why it wasn't fitting properly.  Hopefully new speed nuts will grip well enough on the worn studs to hold it.  It may not be show quality, but I'm not sure I want to spend a couple hundred buck right now.  95% of the people will never notice anyway once its properly securred. 
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500