News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it much more difficult to check valve lash on Mopar 440 vs Chevy Big Block?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, October 02, 2010, 12:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

I am leaning towards running a solid flat tappet cam and lifters on my 440 high performance street/strip build up this winter.  I was told tonight at a cruise night by a very competent Chevy engine builder who is not very familiar with Mopar engines, that b/c the rocker arms on a 440 Mopar sit on top of a straight shaft (where big block Chevy does not) that it might be much more time consuming when checking valve lash once a year on a solid flat tappet cam on a 446 ci Mopar engine than it is vs. a Big Block Chevy.

Is he right and how long should it take a decent mechanic to check the valve lash on high performance 446 ci Mopar engine running aftermarket adjustable rocker arms and a flat tappet solid cam?  

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Challenger340

HUH ?????

Just curious, Was the Guy drunk ?

Absolutely False !

I set Lash on BB Chev's and BB Mopars ALL THE TIME when we run them on the Dyno.

I can find no reason, any so called "competent" BBC Builder, would want to have to extract his "Size 13" from his Yap by saying that ?

Thank God no one was around to call him on such a DUMB statement, and that he qualified his statement with the word "might", recognizing in his own mind ? that he actually "might" know squat about about a BB Mopar ?

Once you are proficient with Checking/Setting Lash, I'd say maybe 20 minutes depending how many are "out" of adjustment, and how long it takes to R & R the Valve Covers ?

For the "posterity" file, the BB Mopar Shaft Mount Rocker system provides excellent stability from a Rigidity standpoint when a good Hold-Down system is used on the Shafts, especially with more aggressive solids.

To attain the same Rocker "Rigity" as a BB Mopar, typically BB Chev Engines add a "Girdle" System to Tie the Rocker Arms together,
THAT Girdle when installed on a BB Chev,
can be  a 20 minute PAIN IN THE ASS  by itself during Rocker Adjustment !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

1Bad70Charger

Thanks Challenger 340, I appreciate it.  :cheers:

No the guy was not drunk just does not obviously know jack sh it about any engine that is not a Chevy.

He actually is a competent Chevy engine builder with a good reputation, so it does surprise me that just his general overall mechanical knowledge would have precluded him from making such a bizzare and stupid statement.
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Challenger340

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on October 02, 2010, 11:57:48 AM
Thanks Challenger 340, I appreciate it.  :cheers:

No the guy was not drunk just does not obviously know jack sh it about any engine that is not a Chevy.

He actually is a very competent Chevy auto engine builder with a good reputation, so it does surprise me that just his general overall mechanical knowledge would have precluded him from making such a bizzare and stupid statement.

No matter, just make sure you RUN when he talks !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BBKNARF

I'm running a solid roller set up and I check the valve lash once maybe twice a year and takes me approx. 15 min. and 99 percent of the time its ok.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

John_Kunkel

The only time a Chevy would be easier to adjust is if it has the single nut on the rocker stud, no jam nut to deal with.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.