News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

big block 727 upgrades

Started by 73charger440, September 26, 2010, 08:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73charger440

ok what upgrades if any would u guys make to a 727 transmission in a car putting out mid 400hp range {hopefully}the guy at the local shop hear said there are  two different types of  727 does anyone know  what they are and how to tale them apart , outside of a stall torque converter i didnt know if a shift kit or a heat treated sprag or race would be good upgrades ,ive been through most of the body work now i have many questions about the drive train as u can see on the main engines boar,d ive never built a mopar before ive owned a few just never built one and i  been coming to this site for  info for 8  years now  :cheers:

71charger_fan

Spend the money and get a complete trans from Cope Racing and you'll have nothing to worry about.

RD

a stock overhaul on a 727 can and will handle 400hp without any issues.

some like a shift reprogramming done, it just matters on what you want it to do.  dont look at a reprogramming kit as an "upgrade" if you do not care about immediate shifts.

a bolt in sprag is an upgrade but not really necessary unless you plan on doing neutral drops or burnouts in 1st gear.. and then the margin of safety is only a tad higher.

If you plan on cruising the car, just get an overhaul done, add a transgo kit, a converter (based on your engine build and rear gears), and call it good.  Copes is a good builder, but dependent upon the cost of getting one done local in comparison to having one shipped to you, it may be more fiscally responsible to have it done locally (dependent upon your location that is).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

RD

Quote from: 71charger_fan on September 26, 2010, 08:55:21 AM
Spend the money and get a complete trans from Cope Racing and you'll have nothing to worry about.

i am not here to bust yours or john's ballz, but there is always something to worry about.  no matter how good the builder, the durability of a transmission is only as strong as its weakest link.  in this case, hardware.  any builder can build one, but if the stuff doesnt hold up.. it just doesnt hold up.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Cooter

Been building 904/727's since I was 16 Y/O.(38 now)..There are ALOT of factory upgrades to handle more torque like the four gear planetaries out HD units if you have the weaker 3 gear set up now. There's the 5 clutch front drum, then there's the upgrade billet front drum from the aftermarket, then there's the 5.0 servo lever, then there's the Valve body mods, then there's the bolt in sprag, better band material/clutch material (Kevlar), etc....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RD

cooter is correct, but i will have to say that in MOST cases, the upgrades are not needed.  I ran a 3900lb 71 Charger on a stock overhauled transmission with a b&m shift kit for 4 seasons (same overhaul).  The car ran 12.17 at 108mph.  Did fine without the upgrades and we never tore it down once.

Cooter

Yessir, I can agree...I don't recommend this for you in your case, but to point out how much a stock TF trans will hold, I got a junkyard 727 in my Dart with a 505 C.I. stroker. Last pass it made was 6.80, but has gone as fast as 6.60's (8th mile)...No rebuild, no upgreades other than a stall (4000) and a shift kit....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"