News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to the site with a 68 barn find

Started by enarc49, August 16, 2010, 12:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enarc49

Found this 1968 SE that had spent the last number of years sleeping in a garage in Northern New Hampshire. Best I can tell, it is a green 383 car. It now has a 440 4bbl. All of the steel is new and whoever did it did a nice job. A little work, and it should be ready for paint.  This is going to be a Dad and me project for me and my 8 year old. Currently have the gas tank out and a new one on order as it ran fine until we filled the tank, and whatever was in there mixed with the new stuff, and that was the end of that! Thanks to all who post photos of your work. It is a huge help to see what goes where!  Any suggestions on a book with good photographs for restoration would be appreciated.  We are not going to turn it into a 100 point car, but the wiring is a nightmare!!

chargd72

"Project Charger" is a great book.  Awesome score  :2thumbs:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

tan top

hello & welcome  :cheers: :cheers: sounds a good project ! all the metal been replaced  :yesnod: , whats the plan !  color combo wise  :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PocketThunder

Is there "SE" eblems on the sail panels?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Chargerrtforme

You are aware the SE option was 69 and up?

enarc49

Sorry, not an SE. Just not an RT. Still working on decyphering the vin and fender tags....  Just ordered the gas tank kit from Dante's and the Charger Restoration book from Amazon.   :Twocents: :Twocents: No idea on colors. It was originally green, so I may stay in that direction, only more of a dark metallic...

bakerhillpins

Welcome

:wave:

Always good to see more folks from NH joining up!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dans 68

Welcome to the site! Good year... :D  Post up your vin and fender tag (if still around) and we'll be happy to decode it for you.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

enarc49

The VIN is XP29G8B244524

The fender tag has lots of numbers all over it.

64   7    1

1        11      1
50       8   1   C6F     TT1   G

XP29 61 5 43 C28  096425

Any help would be great! :icon_smile_big:

Dans 68

It is great you still have the fender tag. If you go to this site http://www.jimshine.com/tag%20info/68tagdecode.htm you can decode it yourself. Or wait and the know-it-alls will eventually chime in (I need to get out of the office now...)  :icon_smile_big:

Dan

Edit - your car was scheduled to be built 2 days (C28), Dec 28, 1967, after mine! Practically cousins!
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Troy

383 2-bbl
automatic
drip rail, body belt, and wheel lip molding (standard on all 68 Chargers)
2.76 open rear gears
green bucket seat interior
medium green metallic paint

next 4 depends on where the 1s are in the 2nd line from the top)
26" radiator (likely)
power brakes(?)
AM radio(likely)
air conditioning (likely)
tinted glass (likely)

center console
bucket seats
hood mounted turn signals (likely) or passenger side mirror (depends on where the 7 is on the top row)
sold car (ordered this way)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68blue

Welcome to the site, your car sounds very much like mine when I started it a year ago. The YO wiring kits helped me out a lot, replaced all the wiring in the car.

bull

Ah the old TT1 paint code. I know it very well... :2thumbs:

Ponch ®

welcome to the site and good luck with your find but....

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 18, 2010, 05:03:05 PM
welcome to the site and good luck with your find but....

Well, there is one, his avatar!    :D

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

chargergirl

Welcome! You'll like it here...keep everyone posted and a pic is worth a thousand words!
Trust your Woobie!

NHCharger

:wave: Welcome from another New Hampshire member.
I'm in Barrington just north of Portsmouth. Where abouts you located and what little town did you find the Charger in?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

nh_mopar_fan

Welcome from Raymond, NH.

This isn't the car that was on craigslist a few times now? That had alot on new metalwork as I recall  but it may have been a 69?

bakerhillpins

Don't know about it being on CraigsList, I didn't see it listed and I am on there a lot lately.

VIN is XP29G8 <- 8 is for 68 and the format of the tag that he typed up is a 68 tag.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

nh_mopar_fan

Yeah, I was going off memory on the craigslist ad.

It's still up though.

Found it:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1881109394.html

enarc49

Thanks everyone.  The car is from Berlin, NH and is now in Concord. Hoping to get the tank in this weekend! Just took the dash out and found that almost all of the guages were not plugged in  :o  Hoping to get to the car show in Derry at Pinkerton this Sat and then NHTI in Concord on 9/11.

TeeWJay426

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

wayfast1500

Welcome to the site I'm out of Derry.  If you or any of the oth nh members need a hand with anything just send me a PM.