News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DC area members, need info

Started by NHCharger, August 22, 2010, 08:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

My youngest son (will be 21 next month)is thinking of moving to the Washington DC area with his best friend. They both have jobs but can't find full time jobs.

They are high school grads, no college courses. Both are real good kids, could pass a blood or piss test with no problem. I'm a bit leery about him moving there. I told him he should go to a vo-tech school for computer repairs or something similar. We have several good vo-tech colleges in this area. I told him I would help him pay for any schooling.

Is the job market any better down there? They would be looking for a place on the outskirts of DC. What's the cost of living in that area? Any info- good, bad or indifferent would be appreciated. He'll be reading these replies so don't sugar coat it.

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bakerhillpins

My wife lived in DC for quite a few years and has the following comments:

Really high cost of living and higher unemployment rate. Tougher job market and more folks fighting for the same jobs. Need a secondary education in order to compete in the market down there (to set yourself apart). NH has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. He is going to have a tough time getting something more than "Big Box" employment, which he can do up here and it would cost less to live.

If he does go down he should go to the N. Va area and take advantage of the community college systems there.

If you have other specific questions you can PM me and I can bounce them off my wife. She worked as a career counselor at Georgetown/UVA/Dartmouth so she has lots of info...
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Wicked72

I hate DC I work in the area but live in MD. Its a crap hole to be honest and it costs way to much for having risk of getting mugged raped and murdered. I work those those type of ppl actually.... truck loads of them come in. However if they get into corrections they will have a great paying job! And jails are hiring starting pay some where around 45k or more however it takes a particular mind set to handle such a job.
And I would say northern VA is much better. Baltimore isnt to bad either. GL
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected