News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What brake pads to get?

Started by 471_Magnum, December 21, 2005, 08:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

The Charger is in need of a brake job. It's had the 11.75 disc upgrade performed by a previous owner.

I want to make sure I tell the parts jockey the correct application to cross reference for new pads and bearing seal. I'm thinking a '79 St. Regis would reference correctly.

Attached are pictures of my set-up.

I almost hesitate to ask, but anyone have a particular type/brand of pad they would recommend?

Keep in mind this car is very heavy, and very fast. :icon_smile_approve:
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Chryco Psycho

I use Raybestos rivited premium quality pads , 78-79 magnum should work for a part #

is_it_EVER_done?

79 sourcing won't work for pads, but is fine for the seals. You have the pin type calipers which were changed to the slider type in or around 74, so your going to be very limited on pad availability. I recommend calling a brake supply store instead of a parts house, and see what they can get. I know that they used to have metallic pads for the pins (Metallux may still be available) , but I don't know what is still made for pins.

BUT..., before you buy pads, check to make sure your pins are not bent. Heavy cars + heavy breaking usually result in bent pins, which is why they went to the slider type. It may just be an illusion, but in the second photo you posted, it looks like you have a bent pin. New pins are available though sometimes hard to locate, however now might be the time to upgrade to slider calipers, in which case you can buy Bendix Fleet Met-Lok pads which are the best made, and provide the best brake performance possible. They aren't cheap, but they are well worth it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Those calipers look identical to mine, which are pin-type off a '73 Challenger. When I bought mine they came loaded with the semi-metallic pads. The problem I encountered at the time was finding semi-metallic pads on their own rather than just organic pads but it seems now they are more available. There's probably a little more demand now that so many people are doing this swap. I believe you can get new pins from them too. Just ask for a pin kit if you need one and see what happens.

Here are the pads: http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TS&PartNumber=TS7018M&Description=Brake+Pads+-+Front%2c+Metallic+Tru-Stop

Chryco Psycho

Opps they are the early pin type , 72-74 Chall & Cuda should work

Silver R/T

if you can get name brand like brembo, wilwood that'll be great
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 23, 2005, 03:14:00 AM
if you can get name brand like brembo, wilwood that'll be great
Brembo and Wilwood make stock replacement pads?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver R/T

they do not but they offer better compound brake pads that will increase braking

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Runner

you might check with firmfeel, i know they were making a carbon metalic brake shoes, so they may make a carbon metalic pad.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

471_Magnum

Quote from: Runner on December 23, 2005, 05:11:00 PM
you might check with firmfeel, i know they were making a carbon metalic brake shoes, so they may make a carbon metalic pad.

Yeah... $75/set. OUCH!
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

bull

Quote from: 471_Magnum on December 23, 2005, 07:14:30 PM
Quote from: Runner on December 23, 2005, 05:11:00 PM

Yeah... $75/set. OUCH!

Napa http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=3&SubCatId=1

Brake Pads - Front, Metallic Tru-Stop
Usually ships within 3-5 days.   TS
TS7018M   $16.99

Police Car or Taxi 

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722