News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MH 727 short tailshaft convert to long tailshaft??

Started by jpsycoboy5, August 11, 2010, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsycoboy5

Basically I bought a 440/727 out of a motorhome has the short tail shaft trans I need step by step directions to convert it to a long tailshaft version to work in my 73 SE I looked at the general trans post it says it can be done but not how to do it any help is appreciated
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

Ghoste

It isn't a difficult thing but it isn't necessarily a beginner project either.  Basically you need to tear the whole trans apart in order to remove the shaft so you have to be prepared to do that.  Do you have a donor trans for the longer shaft?  You may be further ahead just rebuilding that one?

jpsycoboy5

I don't have a donor trans but I'd really like to use this one because it has the TC and was running and driving when removed

jpsycoboy5

Do you know if there is a manual or book or something that goes over the process or switching the shafts and housings?

Ghoste

The fsm details the procedure for tearing down a trans.  Do you have the longer tailshaft and tailstock housing?

jpsycoboy5

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2010, 02:09:32 PM
The fsm details the procedure for tearing down a trans.  Do you have the longer tailshaft and tailstock housing?

Ok ill check in my manual i dont have them yet becuase i dont know what will work what wont with the TC i have now and what not i've heard the motor home is a thicker shaft and idk if that means the tc i have wont work with the longer shaft

RD

personally, i would just go find another 727 that would fit your application and have it overhauled. 

because basically, that is what you will need to do to tear the MH 727 down and retrofit it to fit your application. 

since you are in there, you might as well replace the stuff to new ya know?  there is nothing really that special about the MH 727 in comparison to another transmission (albeit a hemi one).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

jpsycoboy5

I guess lll just post this one on craigslist what would be a good price for it? It has the tc only 20,000 miles and runs great

lisiecki1

the problem with selling it is the application....probably not many people looking for one....if you got $150 out of it i'd be suprised....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

jpsycoboy5

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 11, 2010, 04:20:39 PM
the problem with selling it is the application....probably not many people looking for one....if you got $150 out of it i'd be suprised....

maybe I would be best call some trans shops and seeing if I can get just the shaft and the housing?

lisiecki1

or find one in a junkyard.....a used tailshaft assembly would probably be fine for a while behind stock power.  :Twocents:  and you could probably sell the rest of the case and recoup some of your cost.

jpsycoboy5

That sounds good what parts would I need to beef up in the trans I'd rather have overkill than just barely handling it

lisiecki1

get your hands on this book and build to your hearts content.  I built a 1000 horse capable 727 for about $500 in parts.

Quote from: Musicman on October 04, 2009, 06:24:32 AM
If you can get your hands on one, rebuilding a 727 is a great alternative. The kits are fairly inexpensive, and you can purchase some great literature like Carl Monroe's TORQUEFLITE A-727 Transmission Handbook to guide you through the process.